Shift rod thread.

Hi,

I'm just wondering what my shift rod is meant to be like after removing my shift knob. After removing the one I currently have on it, I'm unable to screw it back on. I'm not sure why this is.

The rod is smooth from top to bottom, and doesn't seem to have any threads which would enable me to screw it back on as I screwed it off. So... what do I do?

Sounds like some one has just cut it to make a budget short shifter... You could get thread back on to it, I just can't think of the tool right now, hmmmm i''ll get it

Is there any way to put the knob back on without threading it? The previous owner of the car managed to apply the knob without threads, and I'm just wondering how I could put it back on.

Yeah, problem is that I don't have a tap and die set, and I don't think I'd be willing to fork out heaps of money to buy a set when I'd rarely ever use it again. :|

Unless someone knows a place to get cheap die sets/has 12 x 1.25mm die sets that I could borrow?

Edited by andiiiz

I have a cheap tap/die set mate. It was like $12 on ebay years ago lol so it's not exactly "heaps of money". not really sure how to use it either :S just used it to fix up the thread on a gear knob cos it wouldnt screw in smoothly

it should have 12x1.25

Haha, the prices now seem to be a lot higher...

Would I be able to buy it/borrow it off you to thread my gear shaft?

It's a die and not the tap right?

Yeah where bouts you at?

Yep die for threading the shifter. Not sure what the best way to do it would be. Either remove the whole shifter from the car and place it in a vice... or have someone hold the shifter really really still while you turn the die

• 2 weeks later...

if its an after market gear knob are u sure there isnt a small screw somewhere around the sides of the knob that you tighten to press against the shift rod to kinda hold it in place ?

I have seen this previously on aftermarket knobs. A very bodgy solution but it can do the job .... just a thought

if its an after market gear knob are u sure there isnt a small screw somewhere around the sides of the knob that you tighten to press against the shift rod to kinda hold it in place ?

I have seen this previously on aftermarket knobs. A very bodgy solution but it can do the job .... just a thought

Yeah most aftermarket gear knobs that I've seen have had the collar and grub screws...****ty setup and if you don't do it up tight then it can spin