newbie from country SA

Hello all from newbie toyota owner[of sorts]., and newbie here,

i have just purchased a 89 celica SX 'white lightening' [minus the motor] a3SGE st162 [bigcam? version??

it was a 1 owner old lady driver originally so the car overall is immaculate

the guy i bought it from said that she had it in a garage for 5 years as she drove another car,

he bought it drove it for 6mths and the engine gave out!! he had it parked in his garage for 2 years.planning to modify,

he tells me he took out the engine and sent it to sydney to be rebuilt., he never saw it again...

so i paid $300 for the rolling car and i'm now looking for a motor.....

i spose a question to ask is, is the 3SGE a decent motor to put back in? or as i plan to bump up the internals,

is there a better option with a later model motor that wont be a major f**k around to put in [is a 5 speed currently]

any tips or experiences here would be appreciated

i have been looking on ebay, and see these 'beams' motor from japan, they are a nth/sth motor, does anyone know if they can be mounted east/west with the gearbox i have., [sorta like the mitsubishi 2.6 in the later magna can be fitted to the earlier scorpion 2.6]

tried gettin a motor through the HOTLINE 40, no motors in adelaide ?? rang around some toyo wreckers same result

can probably get 1 if i buy another cheap car with near dud motor [maybe best option]

thanks for looking and any help/ideas would be appreciated - Geoff

Edited by southaussiefella

The MR2 came out with an east/ west BEAMS engine, but from what I understand these are hard to get hold of and most people with an MR2 that want a BEAMS get the engine from something else like a Caldina.

There is nothing wrong with the 3SGE. There are a couple of generations of it so to keep it easy if you got the same generation it would be easiest to fit to your car ( I think yours is a gen1) but depending on how much more you want to get out of your engine you will be better off getting a newer engine and making it fit, but this wont be cheap.

There are wrecked MR2's coming up on the mr2.org.au forum so you might have a bit more luck over there.

The MR2 came out with an east/ west BEAMS engine, but from what I understand these are hard to get hold of and most people with an MR2 that want a BEAMS get the engine from something else like a Caldina.

There is nothing wrong with the 3SGE. There are a couple of generations of it so to keep it easy if you got the same generation it would be easiest to fit to your car ( I think yours is a gen1) but depending on how much more you want to get out of your engine you will be better off getting a newer engine and making it fit, but this wont be cheap.

There are wrecked MR2's coming up on the mr2.org.au forum so you might have a bit more luck over there.

thanks mr2, gonna go with a 3sge rebuild and do a 20v later looking around i think they call mine a 4th gen, 1st gen is 70's toyo ?

Edited by southaussiefella