Hard going from 2nd to first...normal?

b-juggles

Hi all,

New to this forum and new to luxy's.... I have a rzn169r hilux.

I find it hard to down change from 2nd to 1st. It will only select at a speed about walking pace (<10kph)

Is this normal?

Thanks for your advice.

My corolla sportivo does that too. I think it's a safety mechanic is built in. When I rev match it it seems to go in easier. But not that much easier... Don't think it's that good to slam it into first travelling anything above 10km/hr. I still do it anyway on the track -_-

I'd suggest that the synchro may be a bit dicky, or the clutch release needs adjusting. Failing that, It's not run in or ..... I've no other ideas, but it ain't NORMAL.

How Many KM?, where has it been and what's it been doing? Does vehicle condition match the claims---red dust anywhere usually means it been off or dirt road driven. Look into the wheel arches from the ground. See & Feel what's there. report in detail. Check drains in door bottoms, make sure they aren't blocked-insert tool to test-ur looking for mud etc.

Any accessories to indicate past usages? Might have been a pilot vehicle? Council/tradie/mining/grey nomad/bushmans' etc vehicle? Any oil weeps? Does it select gears well when stationary, running and not? Hot & cold?

The synchros will not let you into the gear unless you double clutch and rev match. First is the most sensitive of gears so you have to get it pretty spot on.

But they do say you shouldn't go into first unless you are at standstill...

The synchros will not let you into the gear unless you double clutch and rev match. First is the most sensitive of gears so you have to get it pretty spot on.

But they do say you shouldn't go into first unless you are at standstill...

NOW PRACTISE IT BIATCH! :P LAWL

• 1 month later...

Hi BJ

I've got a KZN165R with 210k's that has the same problem as well. So after talking to a mate that use to manage the local toyota workshop he recommended that I use lighter gear oil which I did. Problem not totally fixed yet as it needs another clutch in it but it is a lot better than b4

Hope that helps

Murph

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response...forgot about this.

The luxy is used as 4WD...I think Murph is on to something...I only noticed it after I changed the gearbox oil....might have to opt for lighter viscosity.

Other than that, goes into all gears smoothly when stationary.

How hard is it to adjust the clutch on these?