Corolla ZZE-122 2006 Questions

Hi Everyone,

So the odometer has just gone over 135k and I need to give the beloved 'Rolla a good service. Below I've got a few things that I wanted to ask the forum, your help would be much appreciated!

1. I plan on changing the brake pads all round as well as the front discs. Is there any chance that I could get the Sportivo's pads and discs? I'm looking to upgrade the brake performance on the car, does anyone have any suggestions regarding brands and what products have worked well for them?

2. What is the size of the front and rear brake pads? Is there a specific type that I need to get? Same goes for the front discs, what is their size/type?

3. I want to change the transmission fluid for the AT, do I need any tools? Is this an easy procedure? The fluid looks quite dark, I

4. I also want to change the front driver's side floor-mat. Any good places where I can find one? Any good aftermarket ones?

5. The "tightening of chassis nuts and bolts". What do I need to do? has anyone ever done this and has anything been loose?

6. The cabin air filter. Does the Corolla actually come with one as after the last service at a Toyota service centre, the filter is missing...

I would like to thank you all for your help! It would really mean a lot to me! :)

Mike

1. The rear rotors are identical to the Sportivo, so no performance upgrade available there. The front rotors are larger in diameter on the sportive, so will require the brake calipers from the sportive too. Too much money for the upgrade in my mind unless you are competing. You'll need to select a pad for the purpose, on the street aim for up to 500*C, for the track aim for 800*C. For street I recommend the Toyota pads, for some mountain driving Endless SSS. Sporty/race pads tend to make more noise, so make sure you can live with that before you buy them. The rear pads don't do much, so save your money and just stick with stock.

2. http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/13169-front-and-rear-brake-pad-change/ and http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/20071-zzt231-part-numbers/ (refer to '1zz' part numbers, but confirm with the supplier first if they are correct).

3. Can't help you there, I don't know anything about automatics.

4. You can pick up floor mats from shops like Autobarn/Repco/Bursons/Supercheap/etcetera

5. Tightening of chassis bolts is just a check over the bolt to ensure they haven't loosened between services. You'll need to know the correct torque setting of each bolt, and a torque wrench to check these. A check is usually only required if work has been done previously.

6. Australian delivered Corollas didn't come with the cabin filter, but you can order one to fit yourself. It's behind the glove box. To remove the glove box it's pretty simple. Open glove box, and gently, but firmly, pull up and out at a slight angle, it should pop out of the hinge and then you can drop the bottom to line up the tabs at the top with the slots in the dash to completely remove the glove box. To reinstall do the opposite, but you'll have to remount the little gas strut before popping the hinge back in.

Thanks for all the info Dave! Much appreciated! I was thinking of getting the EBC Greenstuff Pads or the QFM HPX for the pads and maybe the RDA Slotted discs for the front or DBA T2s. Has anyone had any experience with these? How long do they last, the pads and the disks? Both the RDA disks ($150 front set) and the QFM HPX ($90 for fronts) are a helluva lot cheaper than the stock combo ($250 rotors and $90 pads), so I'm trying to see where the catch is... Will they be noisy, produce lots of dust, wear out after like 5000kms, or just fall apart after two hard stops? Any advice?

Thanks for all the info Dave! Much appreciated! I was thinking of getting the EBC Greenstuff Pads or the QFM HPX for the pads and maybe the RDA Slotted discs for the front or DBA T2s. Has anyone had any experience with these? How long do they last, the pads and the disks? Both the RDA disks ($150 front set) and the QFM HPX ($90 for fronts) are a helluva lot cheaper than the stock combo ($250 rotors and $90 pads), so I'm trying to see where the catch is... Will they be noisy, produce lots of dust, wear out after like 5000kms, or just fall apart after two hard stops? Any advice?

ive got the rda discs (slotted/dimpled) on front and qfm a1rms for pads, tracked it once, and been to a couple of gor runs, let me just say that it gets really really dusty.

I'd recommend against the slotted/cross drilled rotors. The slots and holes are areas that cause cracking; also worthwhile understanding what they do and determine if you actually need what they provide. The cross drilling is used to providing a channel for any gases produced by the brake pads to vent out of. While the slots are there to resurface the face of the pad to prevent glazing. Both of these issues can be solved by correct pad selection for the application (refer to temperature ranges listed above). I haven't heard many good things about EBC greenstuff, and I've used QFM pads and didn't like the long pedal pedal feel. Both of those pads are street pads, they won't last on a mountain run.