Can I programme a transponder from another car to my car?

Mellow

Right, my sportivo has 2 keys - the grey valet key and the two button black master key. I really would like another master key in case I lose my current one but toyota want my first born child and my laft arm for one.

My question is, can a transponder from a UK car be re-programmed to our cars? My idea is to buy a cheap ebay blank, get it cut and re-programme the transponder to my car using the pedals / key turning / door open close programme method.

Does anyone know if you can re-programme a transponder from another car to my own car?

Cheers

Are you after a remote on the spare key or just a plain key that you can use as a master.

If it was me I would use your master key to delete all keys and code your velat key in as a master.

To be very honest with u, it's really a waste of money... -_- but that's my 2 cents. It's your money...

Even when a remote one broke I just got a $10 one from eBay and then transported the transponder over to the new key and got the key cut.

I kinda don't see the point having a spare master key? I don't even use the master key, but it is put safely in a draw. I have only ever used the remote keys. The ONLY time I would use it is when the transponder fooks up and I have to tell toyota to reprogram another remote key.

My two remotes are good and have been good for 10 years plus. Only reason why I had to change it is Becuz I dropped it while going for a jog one night. Swapped the transponder over and it was all good.

So much confusion.

I have 2 keys for my sportivo.

1 master key - it's black with 2 buttons on it.

1 grey key - no buttons on it.

I'm afraid that if I lose my master key (that I use everyday) I'll only have the gray key left which means I won't have remote contral locking and will have to give toyota alot of cash for a new one.

What I wanted to know is that can I buy a spare master key from the Uk (guy selling one for 20 bucks) take out the transponder chip in the key, transfer it to a new key shell from ebay and get the key cut for 10 bucks?

Can transponder chips in the master keys be programmed to another car?

I kinda don't see the point having a spare master key? I don't even use the master key, but it is put safely in a draw. I have only ever used the remote keys. The ONLY time I would use it is when the transponder fooks up and I have to tell toyota to reprogram another remote key.

My two remotes are good and have been good for 10 years plus. Only reason why I had to change it is Becuz I dropped it while going for a jog one night. Swapped the transponder over and it was all good.

But the remote keys are the master, when you get the car you get 2 Masters ( black/remote) and 1 Valet (non remote/ Gray). If you don't have a master you can't delete or add any new keys or remotes and it get's expensive to fix this, much more than having a spare. What if you only had 1 master and it was stolen or lost...... then your screwed.

So much confusion.

I have 2 keys for my sportivo.

1 master key - it's black with 2 buttons on it.

1 grey key - no buttons on it.

I'm afraid that if I lose my master key (that I use everyday) I'll only have the gray key left which means I won't have remote contral locking and will have to give toyota alot of cash for a new one.

What I wanted to know is that can I buy a spare master key from the Uk (guy selling one for 20 bucks) take out the transponder chip in the key, transfer it to a new key shell from ebay and get the key cut for 10 bucks?

Can transponder chips in the master keys be programmed to another car?

Check that the numbers on the back of his remote key are the same as yours, if they are and the remote is in good condition then $20 ismoney well spend. A new key shell, chip and key cut to code all up the key would be under $120.

Like I said earlier too, use your Master to re enrol your Velat key as a Master, then you will have 3 masters...

wait, hang on, cant u start ur car with the grey one as well? and i thought they used this as the "back up key" in case u loose the 2 remote keys. and they use that one to program a new key with remote.

No, other way around :)

This is how it is..

Master key - if genuine they are a black head or the remote key. When you insert a master into the ignition the security light will go out straight away. The master will also work on all the locks. The ONLY way Toyota can add/ remove a key is with the master even with a diagnostic machine.

valet - If genuine will be a gray non remote key. When inserted into the ignition the securty light stays on for half a second and then goes out. This will work on the doors ( Rear door too for the wagons) and ignition, not the boot or glove box.

Both keys will start the car.

If you do loose your master or even all your keys someone who knows what they are doing can code a key from the cars computer, the dealer can not, they have to replace it which is why it is soooooooooo expencive.