Help needed re: Oil Control Valve question

Hi All,

I've owned my 05 Sportivo for about 6 months and never had any issues with it until I tried to start it today and it just wouldn't turn over, absolutely no indication that anything was amiss on a longish 1.75 hours yesterday. Car has been driven pretty sedately due to having a child in the car and therefore aren't sure whether lift was working prior to problem. Called RACV who were able to start it by giving it heaps of gas, but it was idling horribly and something was obviously wrong. He checked idle control, electrics, cyclinders etc, but couldn't work out what was wrong with it and couldn't get a reading on his scan tool. RACV guy thought it was a timing problem and I had to get it towed to a mechanic. Mechanic advised my wife (who is due to give birth any moment- such a great time to have your car brake down :angry: ) there was a fault code for the OCV for variable timing, quoted $200 for a new one which they informed her would take 4 weeks to deliver if they could not find a second hand part. They also stated they were not 100% if an new OCV would fix the problem. My questions are: does it sound like a OCV problem? Is $200 reasonable and is 4 weeks for a new one realistic?

Any help would greatly be appreciated as we need the car as quickly back as possible as we'd only be able to get a hire car for 4 days.

You might be able to get this one quicker than 4 weeks.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=1415

As for if that is the issue with the car, I'm not sure. Hard start can be a sign that the timing is out. I assume a compression test was also done? There are a couple of things an engine needs to run; fuel, air, compression and timing. No doubt being a mechanic he'd be on top of these things. Unfortunately, sometimes you need to take a bit of a best guess at a solution with all the sensors/electronics on cars these days. Best of luck.

Umm... I'm not quite sure about the ocv valves being faulting and the engine being able to turn over. Let's just say there was something wrong with the lift ocv. Lift wouldn't kick in. I'm not sure about the vvti ocv though. But my guess would be the car would run in limp mode and only can be revved to 4k.

Where abouts are in Victoria? If u are close to the western suburbs I might be able to take a quick look for u and give u a second opinion. I'm no mechanic but at least I'm pretty sure it's not the ocv that's faulty. Hold on to ur money first... Pm me ur details if u want me to come have a look.

Update: Mechanic has informed me that VVT OCV needs to be replaced and informed me several days ago they have ordered a second hand part and are waiting for delivery. Rang today and they informed me they have had to send the part back several times as it was the Japanese manufactured (assumed to be 1ZZ-FE) instead of South African part (2ZZ-GE) part. I'm now officially concerned that these guys don't have a clue about repairing Sportivos and will possibly botch the repair and/or overcharge me for their own ineptitude.

the car was assembled at different factories yes. but the 2zzge engines where primarily made in japan. the 1zzfe were primarily made in canada.

and yes the OCV from both engines are different............