car locked itself with key fob inside!

i have a toyota blade with keyless entry and push-button start. tonight i went to the in-laws on the way home to pick up some stuff, when i arrived i parked in the street, turned the engine off, and got out without locking, leaving the key fob in my bag on the passenger seat as i often have for the 4 years i've owned the car. i put some stuff in the passenger footwell, then some more in the back seat footwell, and while i was doing so the car gave a long beep. i'd finished loading anyway so i closed the door to go round to the driver's seat and find out what it was beeping for, and the car immediately locked itself and wouldn't open.

the only explanation i can think of is perhaps while i was loading i bumped the bag the fob was in causing something to move slightly and push up against the lock button, though i always thought that was impossible (and a sensible safety feature). sometimes when i get out of the car i can't lock it if i'm still standing close enough to the door that it thinks the fob is inside.

anyone have any insight?

Do you have a spare Smart Key? Try to unlock the car with it (Either with the remote or with the emergency key blade if the former doesn't work.).

Also, might want to carry your smart key with you at all times if outside of vehicle to prevent yourself from getting locked out again (For security too, so that no one else will be able to start & drive your car away easily if the key is outside.).

Edited by ToyotaFreak

yep i worked out that the car could be opened with the other key and that it wouldn't have happened if it'd been in my pocket. my point is that it hadn't ever happened before in 4 years of not worrying about leaving the key in the car, and from what i can gather it shouldn't have been able to happen even once.

do you have any insight into why the car locked itself? it wasn't an autolock situation because i'd opened the doors and hadn't locked it in the first place.

Were there any metal objects in the bag where your Smart key is placed? Could be an interference or something could have hit the lock button by accident.

EDIT: found a few 'Smart Key locked inside' threads after Googling around.

http://priuschat.com/threads/locked-smart-key-in-the-car.30172/

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/411417-smart-key-locked-car.html

http://www.priusonline.com/22-prius-q/17916-accidentally-locked-out.html

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123691748-Locked-the-smart-key-in-HELP

Edited by ToyotaFreak

yeah i thought about interference too, though that doesn't make sense because even when i walk away with the key in my pocket the car doesn't lock when it can't find the key. it must've just been unlucky something pressing and holding against the lock button, though i dunno why it's possible for that to happen. you can't possibly lock the car with the door lock while the key is inside, so why can it be done with the key if it's inside? it's like they've realised the problem of being able to lock the key in the car, but then only half fixed it by refusing to accept a lock command from the door locks but not the key itself.