'89 4Runner - rebuild or new engine?

Dacce

Hey Guys,

I have a 1989 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.4L Petrol 22R.

After 340,000 km's, my head has decided to crack and let water into the number 3 cylinder, along with causing some serious corrosion in the head and other areas.

Costs to rebuild are well over $2000 and I am wondering if I would be better off getting a new engine.

Does anyone know the average cost to get a new engine and fit?

If you need any further info let me know.

Thanks

PS. I think its worth repairing/replacing mainly because the body is straight and has no rust and the running gear has recently been replaced.

recon motor is anything from $2800-$4000-prob exchange only. injector pump recon is extra. new motor [clone] can be found in china for abt $1800, but then you have to get it shipped, and there's no gaurantee it's an exact copy or good quality. Alloy heads for the L motor avail in China-quality unknown to me-but a damn good idea. Yamato in capital cities are a reasonable engine supplier, jap import half cuts etc would be difficult to get due to age, I imagine. New motor from tojo unlikely now, due to age/obsolesence. used motor are common enough, from $200 upwards-bargains do exist, just be careful, all these motors are very old, and now at or abt rebuild milages. viable long term ones are rare. Head problems are now common, esp on turbo motors.