Camry Got Wrecked!

Terry

my car just got wrecked :(

this was at the intersection of Wallace Ave and Newton Rd in Strathfield if anybody knows it.

i was going along the road, and at an intersection, the adjacent street had a Stop Sign, the guy in the other car stopped, and when i was right in front of him, he moved and smacked right into me :blink:

nobody was hurt fortunately, cant say much for my car :(...

it is still driveable, its getting an insurance inspection tomorrow.

it was the other drivers fault obviously.

the other driver was a 74 year old man, the car was a really old Mercedes Station Wagon (300TD), his car is totalled and couldnt be driven and had to be towed.

at the moment, it looks to be the two doors, the window, the quarter panels, side skirt, and probably a bunch of other things...

the side airbag didnt deploy though.

PC130001e.jpg

PC130002e.jpg

That's nasty!! I'm glad that you're okay.

Since his car was towed away, it now make it a negligent driving offence - do you know if he's been charged yet?

Please keep us posted.

BTW, who's your insurance company?

i dont know if he has been charged yet, or whats happening with him...

not that id really care, thats his problem now :rolleyes:

anyway, im with NRMA and so is he.

he admitted to NRMA that it was his fault...

so my car will get fixed under insurance either way.

im taking it to the nrma inspection place in a few minutes...so ill find out whats going to happen about getting it fixed etc...

Edited by Terry

ok just came back from the NRMA inspection place....IN A CAB! :(

they said there is structural damage to the car, therefore it cant be driven.

the pillar between the two doors is all bent out of shape, and pushed up.

the damage is repairable...

but he said the chances are, i wont get the car back until after new years :(

i dont know if he has been charged yet, or whats happening with him...

not that id really care, thats his problem now :rolleyes:

anyway, im with NRMA and so is he.

he admitted to NRMA that it was his fault...

so my car will get fixed under insurance either way.

im taking it to the nrma inspection place in a few minutes...so ill find out whats going to happen about getting it fixed etc...

sorry for what happened to your camry, terry

i'm sure we're all glad that nobody was hurt although you must still be in shock

and guess what.....we're next-suburb neighbours :D

so the side airbag didn't deploy, i hope it's because there's some sort of weight sensor in the passenger seat and there's no one there at the time of the side impact, and not because it was malfunctioning in the first place?

otherwise we should start firing away questions to Toyota about this.......i'm sure NRMA would like to do the same thing :angry:

yeah its strange how the side airbag didnt deploy...

i told the inspection guy that, and he was a bit confused aswell, and said he will look into it...

i know where the airbag sensors are...and that area didnt seem to be touched...

so i guess thats the reason they didnt come out.

so 'silver' how close are you to me? :P

(you have a PM btw)

also my dad is contemplating replacing the car after it gets repaired...

do you guys think it is a good idea?

Ouch!!!

Sorry to hear and see the pics... as long as your OK though then that's good.

From the photos, it looks like your left side-skirt is untouched as well as the front and rear quarter panels, but they will paint the whole passenger side anyway just to blend the colours.

Does NRMA offer a car hire option with their insurance? Did you add this option to your policy?

As for replacing the car..., it's hard to say as you're going to be hit with a double-whammy of depreciation if the 2006 Camry is what you want to buy.

we have that hire car option with NRMA, BUT apparently that only cover the rental fees..

and you have to cover the insurance fees with rental company yourself :angry:

well regardless, the smash repairs place that it is getting taken to, is going to give me a loan car until my car is fixed again

probably an old bomb, but at least it is a car to use...

picking it up tomorrow, so ill keep you posted as to what car it is :rolleyes:

the front quarter panel and side skirt are scratched you cant really see in the pics,

the rear quarter panel is dented around the door because the impact pushed the rear door into it...

that panel is also scratched as the other car dragged along the side of my one in the crash...

i think the repairs should be alright, like i was able to drive it to the nrma inspection place like that :lol:

and it seemed to drive no diffferent to normal, thats probably because it was lucky no mechanical stuff was damaged...

but we will see when we get it back etc...

the impact wasnt hard enough to deploy the airbag...the smash repairer said it was mostly panel damage and the middle pillar structure.

they said they will replace the two doors, and the whole side structure.

also repaint the front and rear quarter panels and side skirt.

they said i might hopefully get it back before Christmas, so thats not too bad ;)

they also gave me a courtesy car to use in the meantime until my car is fixed...

its not fantastic, its a 1999 Ford Falcon Forte, but it will get me from Point A to Point B good enough i guess :lol:

EDIT:

just got a call from the Smash Repairer, it wont be finished before Christmas :(

they said they have order some part and it hasnt arrived yet, so it will be early January when i get the car back...

i hate driving this Falcon, sucks so much petrol, twice as much as my Camry (im not joking here, i measured it) <_<

Edited by Terry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i wouldve refused a repair.

if they sent you back in a cab that means something major has been damaged. even replacing or repairing it wont return it to its original integrity.

dont get t-boned on that side again.

• 3 months later...

i wouldve refused a repair.

if they sent you back in a cab that means something major has been damaged. even replacing or repairing it wont return it to its original integrity.

dont get t-boned on that side again.

hi terry,

how's your camry since the repair.... :)

S1LV3R

hi terry,

how's your camry since the repair.... :)

S1LV3R

yeah its not too bad, i dont really see any major difference, just like before pretty much :P

there was a creaking noise in the rear door, when i opened and closed it etc, but i fixed that up myself with a bit of oil ;)