Camry Tyre Replacement

barryc

I suspect that there are few 6 cyl Azura owners out there, but then again I believe that the Sportivo were probably shod with the same tyres when new so perhaps you guys out there will have an opinion on this.

The original tyres on the Azura were Michelin Vivacy 205/60R16. I got 34k out of these and they need to be replaced in the next few weeks.

I could easily replace them with the Vivacys again at about $187 a corner, but don't have too much allegience to the French manufacturer and cannot really say with all conviction that they were world beaters.

I am considering a 'Dunlop Monza 200' tyre and have been told by the tyre salesman that the wider and lower profile 215/55R16 will fit the 6.0JJ alloy rims OK.

Any comment of this guys? Will they be OK?

And does the slightly lower profile put the speedo out of whack?

Any comments or other tyre recommendations would be appreciated.

Yo Barry

This will tell you

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I have my own tyre horror story... I upgraded to 18" wheels and have Faulkan tyres. My wheel was shaking so I took it to reputable place (unlike where I bought the wheels) and they balanced them. The wheel shake was worse than ever. I drove 600 kms down south as friends were over. The wheel was vibrating like something out of a blue movie :P

Anyway took it back to BJ yesterday and the inserts from the guys who put the wheels on were not put on correctly. Buy cheap buy twice. :rolleyes:

My advise on tyres is stick to the best Yokohamas you care to spend The Original Michelins on the sports models was not so flash in the wet and was also picked up in the wheels safety comparison. B)

• 1 month later...

Yo Barry

This will tell you

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I have my own tyre horror story... I upgraded to 18" wheels and have Faulkan tyres. My wheel was shaking so I took it to reputable place (unlike where I bought the wheels) and they balanced them. The wheel shake was worse than ever. I drove 600 kms down south as friends were over. The wheel was vibrating like something out of a blue movie :P

Anyway took it back to BJ yesterday and the inserts from the guys who put the wheels on were not put on correctly. Buy cheap buy twice. :rolleyes:

My advise on tyres is stick to the best Yokohamas you care to spend The Original Michelins on the sports models was not so flash in the wet and was also picked up in the wheels safety comparison. B)

Based on what you said Perthcamry I did indeed buy some Yokohamas. And as a bonus, Yokohama is currently giving away a $50 Caltex fuel card which each set of 4 tyres bought.

Thanks for the advice.

Based on what you said Perthcamry I did indeed buy some Yokohamas. And as a bonus, Yokohama is currently giving away a $50 Caltex fuel card which each set of 4 tyres bought.

Thanks for the advice.

No worries ;)

How are they?

I got the Yokohama C Drive assymetricals, for no other reason than the salesman recommended them.

This morning it was raining here in Newcastle so I give them a touch up on a large roundabout nearby which always gave the Michelins a bit of hurry up from the day the car was new. Today it went round without the slighest sign of slippage.

Most pleased!

The C.Drive is advertised as being grippy and quiet. How do you find them to be, roadnoise-wise?

The C Drives are indeed quiet, far quieter than the Michelins although maybe I am comparing the Michelins at the end of their life rather what they were like when they were new, so that is probably not a fair comparison.

However, it is interesting though that I never ever did cartwheels over the Michelins at any time, but am prepared to write into this Forum extolling the virtues of these Yokohamas, so my first impressions of the Ys are outweighing any impressions that I may have had for the Ms.

Sizing was no different to the Ms - 205 - 60 x 16

Price $179 per corner

$50 fuel voucher thrown in.

^

thats sounds great, i was thinking about getting Yokohama C Drives when i need to change my tyres aswell...

the current Michelin Vivacy ones are alright, but not great as you know :P

i know the C Drives have an asymmetrical tread, but is it directional aswell?

also you wouldnt have a pic of them on your car by any chance? just out of curiousity to see what they look like :lol:

yeah ive been to that site, but it says it is asymmetrical but doesnt say anything about being directional aswell or not...because i cant really tell just looking at the tread design...(it probably isnt, but just wanted to make sure ;))

also the pictures they have on websites arent really that good :P, i wanted to see a real picture of the tyre on a real car :lol:

oh yeah, Barryc, i wanted to ask, what is your opinion about the 215/55R16 tyres on the standard rims?

because ive heard they might be too wide for the stock rims, or at the limit anyway :huh:

Edited by Terry

post-1488-1139289996_thumb.jpgAttached is a photo of the assymetrical C Drives on my car.

Assymetrical means that no matter what corner you rotate the wheels to, the tread configuration remains the same. Unidirectional means that the left side tyre can only remain on the left side. To move to the right hand side will require the tyre to be refitted on the rim to achieve that. The tread is always an arrow head configuration on unidirectional tyres.

Click on photo to enlarge.

Edited by barryc