Steering shudder

FZ1Dave

Hi all,

I have a 2004 VZN167R V6 SR5 that has developed a slight steering shudder. It is not constant and only feels like at certain places as the wheel turns. The steering seems to be working fine apart from this. No leaks, oil level is correct and the belt is in good condition. Has anyone come across this before. the vehicle has just over 200k on it.

Cheers in advance.

Dave.

usually 3 possibilities: bad wheel bearing, bad tie rod/steering, bad wheel ballance. tyre shp can check the wheel ballance, You can grab wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and push/pull hard, the 12 and 6 with wheel off the ground. Movement indicates problem. Tie rods-if worn there's a loose spot in the steering where nothing happens despite steering wheell movement. All of these are pioirity repairs. NB if new tyres, ballance ONLY after about a months' driving.

• Like 1

Thanks Manxman.

I don't thinks its balance as I don't have the typical steering wheel shake but i'll check the bearings and tie rod ends. I still think it may be box related or even idler arm, was just checking to see if it might be an occurrence that has happened before to anyone!

Dave.

• 8 years later...

Hi Dave, i have the same car, a steering shake after replacing tie rod end ,bottom outer ball joints and an annoying shake at around 60 kmh. I had heaps of movement in Rh front axle at diff so i replaced the diff, no difference.have balanced all tyres several times ,even replaced perfectly good front tyres thinking they must be the cause, front and rear shocks, tailshaft centre bearing,shake still there. Not sure what to do next maybe cv shafts. Strange thing is its not bad at speeds of 80 km or better ,worse at 60 ks

Vibrations come from anything rotating. To rule out wheel balance, have you got another set to put on the front to eliminate those already on there, even put your spare on the front and see if you can rule out the offending unit, replace the left, then the right and see if it's any better. When you say you've had them balanced several times, if it's from the same place, if they can't get them perfect first up, going back time and time again won't help, trust me been there done that, I was told it was this and that, all along it was just a bloody dodgey balance

Thanks for your reply Conrod, 3 different places for the balances the third was when i replaced the tyres, my fault doesnt vibrate ,at around 60 ks i have a shake that feels like a lump on a tyre or a blown shock ,at around 80 ks the steering wheel moves from side to side like bad balance.

different road surfaces effect it also sometimes very shaky other times not bad but still there. Today i have given up on the replace everything until its fixed plan and booked it in for a front end check it was dissapointing to replace the front diff and still have the problem, rooky error i guess

• 6 months later...