12v+ and Ignition Help - GPS Tracker installation

AdamK

Hi,

I am installing one of these units into my Aurion, the process is simple for this unit type as it only records GPS speed and map plotting to my phone, Horizontal/ Vertical movement (Cornering, harsh braking or acceleration) and communicates via GSM (SIM Card).

Required wires for installation:

- 12v+ Constant (Always On) for charging the tracker battery

- Earth

- Ignition

Earthing it is easy, and i'm sure i can source an ignition or acc wire from the head unit if i don't want to go directly to the internal fuse box.

My question is, does anyone know of a Constant On 12v+ source that is internal to the car? i want to install the unit behind the center air con ducts in the dash, or does anyone here have an electrical diagram i can use to source one? as well as an ignition wire that is located in the same area?

The main reason for asking this question is that i want to install the unit inside the car, without running directly to the battery.. and also to try an reduce the amount of panels that need to come off during the installation. The standard installation that we do for the Aurion doesn't suit my needs as i like knowing that some panels have never come off the car before, as well as keeping the installation hidden

Can anyone help?

Headunits and clocks will always have the 3 wires you need (+12V constant, +12V ignition/ACC-switched, Ground) as they need the constant +12V for memory functions etc (they don't have internal batteries like a computer does, hence why the radio stations and the clock usually reset when you disconnect the battery).

Thanks for the reply Hiro,

I didn't even think to use to constant 12v on the radio/ clock. I was worried that the draw on that circuit may be too high, the tracking system uses 12v-24v @ .04a-2.0a

Would 2amp be to much for the stock wiring to supply on top of whatever its running already?

If the stock wiring can handle the extra current then ill go ahead and do the easiest tracker installation ive seen

Edited by AdamK

All sorted!

Spoke to the electrical sparkie at work, he checked the wiring and confirmed that the head unit wiring is good for 10a. and the head unit/ tracker combined would be lucky to pull 5a at full load.