Australian customers gullible ?

A month ago I joined this forum to have a moan about the out of date maps on my brand new Toyota. I posted my complaint saying that all new Toyotas have over two year old maps with no updates either available or even worse planned.

I only received one reply from a mod who suggested that I should "ditch the factory fitted unit and buy an after market"  Why should I do this when I paid $6000 extra for a GXL which as currently advertised on TV has navigation as standard?

I have since discovered that Toyota vehicles sold in Australia only conform to emissions rating "Euro 5" It has been illegal to sell new cars that are not "Euro 6" rated in the UK since September 1st last year.

This has me wondering if Australia is used as a dumping ground for lower tech cars as the customers here either do not know or care?

Australian laws currently do not dictate that Euro 6 is required. The 1st of July 2018 is the date that all new vehicles sold will need to comply.

You shouldn't have to ditch the unit, but I believe that it will be the easiest/cheapest route in the long run.

A little research before you purchased the vehicle would have shown that updates come at a cost and they are rather outdated.

You may have to take up a fight with Toyota in order to get the result you want.

Thanks for the info re when the local market will need to comply with Euro 6.  It is not the cost of map updates although irritating it is the fact that none are available or even planned. I say this after having spoken to HERE mapping company who told me "they are not preparing any new maps for Toyota"

This leads me to believe, (and I may be wrong) that the reason is political in that Toyota may well be in the process of changing which company they use for navigation.

As you probably know Toyota have decided not to follow other manufacturers in introducing either Car Play from Apple or Android Auto from Google. Both of these will allow apps including navigation from a smartphone to be displayed on the cars infotainment system.

Apparently Toyota will be using a Californian company called Telenav for their navigation. I can find no further information about when or even if this will happen. I assume that toyota do not want customers using say Google maps as they would lose their lucrative map update sideline.

It is my opinion that in the meantime the Australian market will just be ignored, because they can get away with it where they would not in Europe.

I have already sent a complaint to WA consumer protection, they agree that "over two year old maps supplied with a new vehicle is unacceptable" and are taking the issue to Toyota on behalf of customers. Unfortunately due to the holidays nothing has been sent to Toyota yet.

Thank you again for your reply, I tried to title this thread to get people's attention, it does seem to me that nobody cares, although I suppose I am "preaching to the converted" by posting here at all.

8 hours ago, JohnLynn said:

This leads me to believe, (and I may be wrong) that the reason is political in that Toyota may well be in the process of changing which company they use for navigation.

As you probably know Toyota have decided not to follow other manufacturers in introducing either Car Play from Apple or Android Auto from Google. Both of these will allow apps including navigation from a smartphone to be displayed on the cars infotainment system.

No, even a cursory search on here will show you that Toyota (and other OEMs) have been a couple of years behind in their maps for a long time now.  I think you're trying to hard to find a duplicitous answer when there isn't one.

I may have been naive in assuming that customers would be treated the same in Australia as in Europe where I have spent a long time. I am probably in danger of provoking a response of
"if you don't like it here leave" but this is why :

This is a link to the Toyota eu website extolling the virtues of map updates http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/Home/WhyUpdate

If current maps are important in Europe why not Australia?  Hyundai offer annual map updates and also the ability for customers to run their own navigation via Android Auto or Car Play why not Toyota?

It is not just navigation, take servicing for instance, my new vehicle needs a dealer service every six months. Later this year I intend to lay it up for six months and will have it service before it is stored. Toyota have told me that it must have another oil change at six months even though the vehicle will not have been used. When asked why they told me "the oil goes sticky"

I wonder why oil doesn't go "sticky" when new vehicles are stored in the yard waiting to be sold?

This is a quote from the Toyota owners club regarding servicing in Europe, does the same apply here?

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil.

8 minutes ago, JohnLynn said:

I may have been naive in assuming that customers would be treated the same in Australia as in Europe where I have spent a long time. I am probably in danger of provoking a response of
"if you don't like it here leave" but this is why :

This is a link to the Toyota eu website extolling the virtues of map updates http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/Home/WhyUpdate

If current maps are important in Europe why not Australia?  Hyundai offer annual map updates and also the ability for customers to run their own navigation via Android Auto or Car Play why not Toyota?

It is not just navigation, take servicing for instance, my new vehicle needs a dealer service every six months. Later this year I intend to lay it up for six months and will have it service before it is stored. Toyota have told me that it must have another oil change at six months even though the vehicle will not have been used. When asked why they told me "the oil goes sticky"

I wonder why oil doesn't go "sticky" when new vehicles are stored in the yard waiting to be sold?

This is a quote from the Toyota owners club regarding servicing in Europe, does the same apply here?

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil.

You seem to be levelling a lot of criticism at Toyota for practices which are routine across the entire car industry - service schedules based off time or ks (whichever comes first) for instance have been standard for decades (oil goes off, brake fluid absorbs water, seals dry out, grease attracts dirt etc etc).  Toyota is also no alone in not currently offering CarPlay or Android Auto, afterall it has only been offered on the Australian market in ANY car since the middle of 2015 (barely 6 months ago).

If you want to know your rights in regards to servicing with non-genuine parts and warranties etc, go hit up the ACCC.  Anything else is hearsay and internet myths/rumours.  Under Australian consumer law, you can provide parts to a repairer to use but they are also allowed to refuse to use those parts at their discretion.  If they refuse to use parts you supply you have the right to take your business elsewhere, including to independent service centres (which if done correctly will not void warranties).

• 8 years later...

Not sure if this thread is still active, but It's 2024 and nav is still a problem in my 2018 Prado. I paid for an update, but I haven't noticed any difference, maps are still out of date. I tend to use my phone, but I would prefer to use the existing screen. I think you're right, if enough of us complained or cared, maybe something would be done to improve this problem... we are customers and we paid well for it! Hopefully we are not a dumping ground for old tech!