97 Camry - Water Pump?

vh770

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 4cyl '97 Camry (XV10) that is leaking water as a steady drip from this area (blue arrow in picture below). I assume it's a port at the water pump that starts leaking water when water pump internals start failing. Is that correct?

If it is the water pump, can anyone point me in the direction of some workshop manual scans or a forum post that walks me through removal and refit? I assume there's a timing belt involved.

Thanks

aa.jpg

Just do a "how to" search on Google. I did and found these. There is lots more information out there .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQLMP9AYGs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ke7isTL9BQ

thank you. 

it's definitely the water pump? I can't make out any comparable features when looking at mine and items for sale.

thanks

thanks. I've found a water pump that claims to be for the 97 XV10, i'm hoping this section (blue arrow in picture) is the corresponding vent port location.

This engine's timing belt and water pump were replaced within the last three years, so i'm not going to replace the timing belt. I'm a bit surprised that the water pump has failed so soon, actually. Must have been a cheap unit. If anyone has any particular tips when doing this job, please let me know. 

thanks

11.JPG

No actual tips for replacing the water pump but I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to drain and flush the cooling system before installing the new pump.

I also keep a spreadsheet of repairs/maintenance performed on each of my vehicles.

• 5 months later...

Probably too late to reply. But that does not appear to be a water pump problem. The WP is buried deep down low in the motor on that side. There is a large amount of work in getting that part off. You may have a cracked part where the rust is. Hard to tell exactly from the pic.