CV boot replacement

LordBug

Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the drivers side inner CV boot before? And how much of a bugger of a job is it to do?

Suspect I have a small split, and get a bad feeling it's been there for a while.

Any tips on checking if the bearings etc are fine?

1 hour ago, LordBug said:

Has anyone replaced the drivers side inner CV boot before? And how much of a bugger of a job is it to do?

I did the inner CV boot replacement on a Nissan Pulsar a few years ago. No easy way except to remove the drive shaft then remove the retaining circlip so that the CV joint and boot can be removed off the shaft.

Fortunately, the alternative solution is to use a split CV boot. Following eBay listing is for reference purposes only. You will have to check with your local Toyota dealer because I am sure that a split CV boot kit is available for a Landcruiser and it may be suitable.

http://www.philgilbertparts.com.au/genuine-toyota-landcruiser-split-boot-kit-hdj100-uzj100

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-SPLIT-CV-BOOT-KIT-DRIVE-SHAFT-STICKY-BOOT-FITS-VARIOUS-CARS/232280187693

1 hour ago, LordBug said:

Any tips on checking if the bearings etc are fine?

The only check I know of is whether there are clicking noises when rotating the driveshaft.

As an interim measure, I have used a large capacity syringe [no needle required] to pump replacement grease into the CV boot then tape it up to seal the boot.

Edited by campbeam
add Toyota URL