Paint flaking on roof rack channel

Hi, I was wanting touch up a few stone chips, while washing roof I noticed roof rack channel had significant

paint flaking off, I barely touched it and along the whole edge from back to front is... well see attached fotos.

Its a Rav 4 2012 cv we have had it for about 5yrs bought second hand. I can understand stone chips and or scratches

but this seems to be something altogether. On both sides of roof. 

How long is a factory paint guaranteed for for a toyota

Thanks

Ken

IMG20200823100906.jpg

IMG20200823100720.jpg

IMG20200823100805.jpg

IMG20200823100832.jpg

IMG20200823100851.jpg

Hi Ken,

That's really unfortunate. I've never seen factory paint peel off like that. I have, however, seen post factory paint peel mainly due to lack of good base prep work. It looks like the primer hasn't adhered to the metal which may indicate surface contamination prior to the application of the base primer.

Factory paint prep is pretty impeccable and I honestly think it's been repainted at some stage in it's life.

Lucky for you, the roof section can be repainted without having to blend the colour in anywhere else, due to the sectional design. I'd have it done before the rust sets in.

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem on my white 040 painted corolla, but on the outside edge of the rack channel and other spots on the side of the car. The roof had the same issue, quite severely and has already been resprayed at our cost, but now it's starting to appear all over the rest of the car's factory paint. It's frustrating because other than the paintwork the car is immaculate for a 2012 model.

I hope Toyota Australia eventually agree to recall these affected cars as they have in USA and Canada.

On 8/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, kensteyn said:

Hi, I was wanting touch up a few stone chips, while washing roof I noticed roof rack channel had significant

paint flaking off, I barely touched it and along the whole edge from back to front is... well see attached fotos.

Its a Rav 4 2012 cv we have had it for about 5yrs bought second hand. I can understand stone chips and or scratches

but this seems to be something altogether. On both sides of roof. 

How long is a factory paint guaranteed for for a toyota

Thanks

Ken

IMG20200823100906.jpg

IMG20200823100720.jpg

IMG20200823100805.jpg

IMG20200823100851.jpg

That is an appalling situation for factory paint. There seems to be many here with issues surrounding the 040 and 070 white paint codes and for the life of me I'll never understand how this could happen by one of the best car makers in the world. I don't know of any class action in Australia, and I think this is because we don't have lemon laws and the dealers stone wall their customers with weasel words and empty promises because they aren't compelled by law to make it right. Most car dealers are morally bankrupt anyway, which is why I'd never buy a brand new car.

You could try hitting up your local Toyota dealer and waste a bit of their time. Be persistent and do some research before going in. Make plenty of copies of cases already online and if you have to speak to consumer affairs and see if there's anything that can be done legally. This is an unacceptable situation because factory paint should last the lifetime of the car with proper care. Peeling paint is another ball game. My Aurion is a 2012, it sites outside all day everyday 365 days a year in the heat and the cold and my paint still looks like new. Admittedly, I am a detailer and know how to care for the vehicle, but this should be the same for all other cars with a similar approach.