Rav4 Highway usage

Ben Casey

I'm doing some research on a new mid sized SUV in the next 6-12 months.

I like the interior of the subaru but am attracted to the RAV4 hybrid and Toyota ownership in general (solid warranty and very competitive service pricing)

I live in the NT and for the short to medium term at least most of the driving would be a mix of 110 to 130km/h down the highway.

Can anyone give me an indicator of the gains to be had or lost with a hybrid with 90% being down the highway.

For research purposes, I use both RedBook [pricing and specifications] and the Australian Car Reviews [problems and recalls] websites.

Please note that I have no real world experience driving a hybrid vehicle.

A significant factor is that more and more of Toyota sales are for the hybrid models and I believe that it is driven by fuel economy plus increased performance.

Being "old school", I am a late adopter of new technology. What i have noticed is that there has been a significant improvement/upgrade in the battery pack within the last 12 months so that has addressed one important factor of battery longevity.

You will probably find that the hybrid models only come with a CVT instead of a 6 or 8 speed auto transmission. In the new Corollas, the CVT now has a fixed 1st gear to take the strain off the belts in the CVT from a standing start. Presumably, the electric motors in the hybrid RAV4 model will be providing the same benefit hopefully resulting in longevity of the CVT. At least, the Toyota CVT has a better track record than the earlier JATCO CVT transmissions fitted to Nissans etc. 

https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/seven-shifty-transmissions-to-avoid/

Furthermore, my research [so far] is indicating that a CVT when it develops problems is going to be replaced instead of repaired. Consequently as a used car buyer, I would be more likely to consider the more recent hybrid models than those prior to say 2018 or 2019.

In my mind, I consider that CVT technology is still developing and improving.

Next 6-12 months will give you plenty of time to further research and be comfortable with a decision to purchase a Toyota hybrid model with a CVT.  

I have done some research (youtube/google) into CVT transmissions and figure that if a toyota transmission fails with no towing, mostly highway usage and regular servicing and maintenance as per the logbook it should be under warranty (if it is worth anything). With regular servicing from a Toyota dealership the engine/transmission warranty contInues to 7 years.

I would be more interested in the fuel usage in the hybrid over long and mostly flat highway usage. Is it worth the weight and potentially another system to fail or do I look to a mechanically simpler system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Casey said:

I have done some research (youtube/google) into CVT transmissions and figure that if a toyota transmission fails with no towing, mostly highway usage and regular servicing and maintenance as per the logbook it should be under warranty (if it is worth anything). With regular servicing from a Toyota dealership the engine/transmission warranty contInues to 7 years.

I would be more interested in the fuel usage in the hybrid over long and mostly flat highway usage. Is it worth the weight and potentially another system to fail or do I look to a mechanically simpler system?

Best to assume that you will need to factor in regular servicing from a Toyota dealership for a 7 year period to ensure the drive train warranty.

As for fuel usage in the hybrid, I would accept that fuel consumption figures are achievable but assume 4.8L per 100 kms. Car reviewers report being able to achieve the hybrid fuel consumption figures but not the fuel consumption figures for non-hybrid models. For the manual RAV4, I would be more inclined to assume 6.8L per 100 kms which makes for ease of calculation with a difference of 2L per 100kms. Annual mileage of 20000 kms = 200x2= 400 Litres of petrol @ $1.25 = $500. For urban driving, double the difference i.e. $1000.

For the RAV4 Edge with the sportsmatic transmission, I would add 50% to the above calculations i.e. $750 and $1500.

Something else to consider is that COVID-19 has demonstrated how easily circumstances can change. What happens if fuel becomes scarce or is rationed due to a disruption in the supply chain?

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

As for fuel usage in the hybrid, I would accept that fuel consumption figures are achievable but assume 4.8L per 100 kms.

This is doubtful sitting on 130km/h down the highway.

1 hour ago, Ben Casey said:

This is doubtful sitting on 130km/h down the highway.

Not going to disagree. This is where you will need to research the efficiency of the Toyota Hybrid systems and at what point the electric motors cut out.

I think that I have made reasonable assumptions to quantify a realistic fuel consumption differential between a hybrid system and a non-hybrid system. Car reviewers have already crunched the numbers and it is financially viable for taxi operators to pay the extra for a hybrid i.e. Toyota Prius.

Maximum speed limit in QLD is 110 kph so I do not have any real world data for fuel economy figures at 130 kph.

What I can say is based upon my specific vehicle 2006 Toyota Aurion which has a 3.5L V6 engine. I have just done a 3800km road trip in QLD travelling on the main highways with 100kph and 110kph speed limits with refuelling every 350 to 400kms. Surprisingly, fuel economy figures seemed to be the same for both speed limits. However, there was a 1.5 Litre per 100 kms fuel economy differential between cruising and doing a lot of hard acceleration for overtaking. For outbound leg of the trip, I averaged 8.1L/100kms and homeward bound leg was a more economical 7.53L/100kms.