22r blow by

White22r.92

Hi guys

I've got a 22r and I've got a bit of blowby. I'm currently running a catch can. But I'm thinking I need to do rings or timing. Any one have some advice/direction for me.

DO a compression test, is it missing at idle, have you removed and cleaned the PVC valve ?

Edited by CONROD

From what the book says, difference should be around 14psi (98kpa ), youll nearly always get some variance, due to carbon build up on top of pistons etc,etc, but if 2 cylinders side by side had low readings that points to a blown head gasket or a crack in the cylinder wall and pressure is simply transferirng between the two, all engines have some blow by, especially when they start to get some kays on them, how bad is it, I,d check and make sure the PVC Valve is not clogged up with Gunk, soak it in petrol, thinners something with solvent, have found degreaser useless as it dosnt get rid of all the sh*t inside it.

Does the blowby reduce when you pull the dipstick out of its tube ?

Edited by CONROD

Enough to oil over my rocker cover. 

It's not only gas but oil as well. It's like the oil isn't travelling back down because of pressure.

If my timing is out or my tappets cause excess blow by?

22 hours ago, White22r.92 said:

Enough to oil over my rocker cover. 

It's not only gas but oil as well. It's like the oil isn't travelling back down because of pressure.

If my timing is out or my tappets cause excess blow by?

Mate I accidently ( my friggin mistake ) left my filler cap off after doing an oil change and drove to work with it sitting on top of the battery and I had oil spray everywhere, even now if I remove the cap while its running I get some pressure and oil spray blowing out.

When you say; Enough to oil over my rocker cover. If thats with the cap in place , it simply needs a new O-ring on the cap, SuperCheap sell NEW Oil caps,

if it were the timing you would know as it would have a miss, idle rough but smooth out higher in the rev range. Incorrect valve clearance will have nil effect towards blow by. too loose and they will be noisy, too tight especially the exhaust valves and you risk burning them, Then you will have a miss 

Valve clearances: Intake=0.008" (0.2mm)
Exhaust=0.012" (0.3mm)

Screw and Locknut adjusters, Engine Hot normal operating temperature (required),