Hilux 2.7l 2001 stalling

John1298

Hey everyone!

I just bought a Toyota Hilux 2001, 2.7 litres and it runs pretty bad. It seems to die around 2000/2500rpm. The fuel pressure is pretty high, I cleaned all the injectors. I replaced the spark plugs and leads, MAF, fuel pump, fuel pressure valve and also checked the cylinders compression (all around 210psi). It drives maximum 40/60 km/hr. I found out that a wire of the coil plug has been joined in a dodgy way (I fixed that). The scan tool isn’t showing any faults and the engine light is not on.

If anybody has any suggestion it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, John1298 said:

Hey everyone!

I just bought a Toyota Hilux 2001, 2.7 litres and it runs pretty bad. It seems to die around 2000/2500rpm. The fuel pressure is pretty high, I cleaned all the injectors. I replaced the spark plugs and leads, MAF, fuel pump, fuel pressure valve and also checked the cylinders compression (all around 210psi). It drives maximum 40/60 km/hr. I found out that a wire of the coil plug has been joined in a dodgy way (I fixed that). The scan tool isn’t showing any faults and the engine light is not on.

If anybody has any suggestion it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just to confirm,

When was the fuel filter replaced?

An issue with the fuel filter won't present an issue at idle, since there isn't much flow demand.

I'm not sure if a blocked Cat would cause the issue without throwing a fault code.

Edited by Novicebutnice

Same year as mine mate, one thing I can tell you is even a NON operating speedo will illuminate the Check Engine light, how do I know?? My speedo **** itself one day, started bouncing around for no reason, thought it was just the speedo cable, but it was actually the magnetic drum on the back of the speedo drive itself. Once another one went in, took it for a run and check engine light was off.

As Novice said, fuel filter should be replaced, just on a side note, wonder if the timing chain been replaced and its 1 notch out, I'II have a squiz in the workshop manual and see if anything is mentioned under Diagnostics in regard to no power, cheers

On 10/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, Novicebutnice said:

Just to confirm,

When was the fuel filter replaced?

An issue with the fuel filter won't present an issue at idle, since there isn't much flow demand.

I'm not sure if a blocked Cat would cause the issue without throwing a fault code.

Sorry I didn’t mention the fuel filter has been replaced. Now that you said it, I’ve realised I can hear a vibration inside the Cat which should come from a blockage. I’ll definitely check that out. 
Thank you

22 hours ago, CONROD said:

Same year as mine mate, one thing I can tell you is even a NON operating speedo will illuminate the Check Engine light, how do I know?? My speedo **** itself one day, started bouncing around for no reason, thought it was just the speedo cable, but it was actually the magnetic drum on the back of the speedo drive itself. Once another one went in, took it for a run and check engine light was off.

As Novice said, fuel filter should be replaced, just on a side note, wonder if the timing chain been replaced and its 1 notch out, I'II have a squiz in the workshop manual and see if anything is mentioned under Diagnostics in regard to no power, cheers

Was the speed sensor the actual problem for you in the end? Forgot to mention previously that the fuel filter has been replaced too, not sure about the timing chain though. If you find anything in the manual please let me know. Today the car did run properly for 5minutes after I sprayed the 3 vacuums on top of the throttle body, so I don’t think it could be the timing. Throttle body got cleaned and the sensor got replaced.
Thank you.

Nah, speed sensor was okay, it was the speedo cable come away from the back of the speedo. but the magnetic drum wasn't the best so I replaced it. 

You mentioned it ran fine after you sprayed around the vacuum hoses, it's like you might have a split or hole in one of the vacuum hoses, and as such they are creating an air leak, if they are long enough can you trim the ends off and reattach them, so they are a nice tight fit, if they have gone hard, brittle, might pay to replace them, its only cheap, buy by the metre and trim to size

Edited by CONROD

Workshop manual is pointing towards Fuel issue, Fuel pressure regulator and associated vacuum hose leading to pressure regulator ie; are they on the correct port