Reconditioning 2zz?

I am not thinking of doing it now, just wondering if i do keep my car for years to come i will clock over 100,000kms pretty quickly. And at what kms would yous consider doing it? 100,000kms, 200,000kms?? Would it be worth it though or is it better to overhaul it and put brand new parts in, and while at it throw in some stage 2/3 cams ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I'd probably do it around 200,000 but id depends on the condition of the engine. With the track days I may end up doing it at 100,000, but the way I use the k's on my car that's still 3 years away :P :lol::lol::lol:

I'd probably do it around 200,000 but id depends on the condition of the engine. With the track days I may end up doing it at 100,000, but the way I use the k's on my car that's still 3 years away :P :lol::lol::lol:

Your push bike is getting more ks than your Stivo :P

uh, but what will reconditioning do ? Changing the old parts to new one? If so, u may aswell throw in the aftermarket goodies as it probably cost the same obtaining oem parts. Well, u need to spend more on ecu, but may aswell.

By the way, I always see this "service and tune-up" every now and then, what exactly do they tune up?>

being a timing chain driven motor, all the chain motors i have had or know tend to do about 2-300000 kms no probs, the only thing the stivo might needs is new piston rings and vvtli lifters (or whatever they are called) due to the high reving nature of the 2zz.

personally i would be looking at the pistons, piston rings, bearings and checking the bores to see if the are round and true still. But im more of an old school type of guy so maybe our engine needs a bit more to it.

Maybe an overbore and thats it.

my 1zz already has 125,000km's on it.... and trust me, it gets given a hard time.

i am considering reco'ing it at 150-180,000km's..... with new bearings, might as well bore it 20 thou, (its only half a millimetre) and get some new pistons and rings.....

if you are going to recondition an engine you might as well go the whole way with it and do everything, cos once something is new in there, it puts extra pressure and strain on older weaker parts.... and you will be pulling the engine back out again in 20,000 to fix other things.... my other half is a mechanic and he sees it every day, people wanting to do things by half....

i would probably consider cams, deck the head, have it crack and pressure tested....

the whole shabang!!! ;)

i spose i can say this though, considering that i wont be paying for labour :P

my 1zz already has 125,000km's on it.... and trust me, it gets given a hard time.

i am considering reco'ing it at 150-180,000km's..... with new bearings, might as well bore it 20 thou, (its only half a millimetre) and get some new pistons and rings.....

if you are going to recondition an engine you might as well go the whole way with it and do everything, cos once something is new in there, it puts extra pressure and strain on older weaker parts.... and you will be pulling the engine back out again in 20,000 to fix other things.... my other half is a mechanic and he sees it every day, people wanting to do things by half....

i would probably consider cams, deck the head, have it crack and pressure tested....

the whole shabang!!! ;)

Haha....Lucky....can your other half offer TOWCA members a discount for thos who want to it..? :P

the whole shabang!!! ;)

Haha....Lucky....can your other half offer TOWCA members a discount for thos who want to it..? :P

Thats the thing isn't it and with the 2zzge i wouldn't really entrust anyone to recon or o'haul my engine other than Toyota. And the cost is a big thing, if its gonna cost like 5grand might as well get a brand spanking new engine for 8grand, just 3grand more for much less trouble. but i guess it really depends your LOVE for the Corolla, most would have sold up for a new car ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Yup, such as the sexy Astra VXR

Lmao you and the astra's Dan haha. I don't mind those either. I'm more interested in selling up later on down the track and grabbing something high powered. Step up. Supra or MR2 etc, I still want to keep it toyota tho.