2013 Corolla (ZRE182) - constantly blowing light globes

Hi, just trying to evaluate if my car has the issue, or if the design/batch has an issue.

We have owned the corolla from new, and well looked after, but this car eats light globes for breakfast.  In 10 years I have replaced the headlights 6-7 times, finally settling for chinese LED's which seems to have given me some relief from the rediculous cost of the headlight globes.   

But I am at least once a year replacing brake lights, interior lights (such as aircon/temperature backlight), fog lights  etc.  

I have put a multimeter on the car, for long periods, different RPM etc.    Cannot see any spikes, tried different brand globes etc.   It just keeps blowing globes.

Toyota want nothing to do with it (surpise surprise), saying its all in spec.    I owned a Yaris for 12 years and didnt replace a single globe and a Kluger for 9 years and replaced 1 tail light running globe.   but I feel like the corolla is using obnxious amount of globes.

For further context, we lost both headlights within 2 days of each other.   This car is also our 2nd car and is only used 2-3 times a week, not our daily run about.    We are on tar roads, and nothing out of the ordinary to "shock" or vibrate the globe filaments.

Any insight to other toyota owners from this era to help chase if this is an alternator/voltage regulator issue (which is my suspicion), or other users who have had similar issues.

Hi Kelvin,

The voltage s seem to be correct, and yes Flukes are good digital meters. Personally I have found that analogue meters are better for car work, particularly with the engine running, as the ignition noise can get into digital meters.

If you can get a loan of a know good alternator try swapping them out.

Herb

Hi Kelvin, are you handling the globes with your bare hands when installing ?

If not, the oils and acids in your fingers can degrade the globe by creating hot spots causing them to fail prematurely. Wear gloves when installing or use paper towel.

I'd also check and clean the electrical socket connectors. Look for corrosion and other contamination. With no power applied, spray some contact cleaner in an aerosol can for this and this should do the trick.  I cannot see any other reason your globes are failing at tis rate if the applied voltage is correct.

No, Toyota have replaced some, I have replaced some.   I’ve never handled globes with skin and contacts are tight and clean.  As random globes across the vehicle are blowing and various brands, I feel like this is an electrical system issue VS a mounting/install issue

1 minute ago, Kelvincoffey said:

No, Toyota have replaced some, I have replaced some.   I’ve never handled globes with skin and contacts are tight and clean.  As random globes across the vehicle are blowing and various brands, I feel like this is an electrical system issue VS a mounting/install issue

Gee whiz mate. It was a stab in the dark, but looks like you're all over it.

I hope you get it sorted as I'd love to know what could be the root cause.