How to seperate rear hub from splined axle

max gudgeon

Hello , I have a toyota rav 4 2005 model , 2.4 litre 5 speed . I started a job to change both the rear hubs , as I am getting a bit of noise coming from the rear of the car while driving. The car has done 262 thousand klms . Anyway I managed to change one side fairly easy , the only slight problem was the 30mm nut on the axle that was very tight , but I got it with a 1000mm breaker bar. Now on the other side , it seems like the splined axle is really stuck  to the old hub. Of course the 4 14mm nuts are off the hub , but I can just not seperate the hub from the axle. I have used pullers whille hitting it with a hammer , spraying heaps of rp 7 into it , but it will just not budge . Has anybody else had this issue , and if so , how did you end up getting it off ? The hub actually can move around a little on the 4 mounting studs , so it is the axle stuck fast inside the hub. Do I need an oxy torch to heat the hub , or some other special type of puller ? the online video on u tube made it look straight forward , but it really is not straight forward. any suggestions will help . thank you 

Edited by max gudgeon

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the advice ... NOT  You would think someone would actually reply with some sort of information . useless forum .

Edited by max gudgeon
  • Haha 1

Never owned a RAV 4 so have no direct experience.

However, about a year ago, I replaced the rear wheel bearing hub assembly[passenger side] on my 2006 Aurion which did come off after being persuaded with a sledge hammer.

No great amount of corrosion encountered as in this YouTube video.

For those that are more active on this Forum, you would have previously seen posts about removing stuck oxygen sensors and the mechanics trick of using brake fluid as a rust penetrator. It works much more effectively than RP-7 and WD-40.

Hello , thanks for the video . The guy in the video has the back of the hub stuck in the housing. My problem is the splined axle stuck inside the hub . I am waiting for another puller to turn up in the mail and have another go at it. cheers.

20 minutes ago, max gudgeon said:

Hello , thanks for the video . The guy in the video has the back of the hub stuck in the housing. My problem is the splined axle stuck inside the hub . I am waiting for another puller to turn up in the mail and have another go at it. cheers.

Just a suggestion, based upon what I have done in the past. Thread back on retaining nut so that it is flush with the end of the axle. Then give it a few "gentle" whacks with a decent persuader which in my case is usually a 4-7 lb short handle sledge hammer.

Main concern is not to damage the retaining nut and the threads on the axle. If you have got some brake fluid then use it as lubricating penetrator giving it a few minutes to work [cup of coffee/tea time] before giving the axle a few "love taps".

It should take a few repeats and take your time resisting the urge to give it a great big thump.

I had not previously thought about using this tool shown in the following video.

Hello Ashley , well I might be on to something here. A jack hammer , never thought of that. I guess I could hire one for half a day . I will investagate the price to hire. Thanks for the video. This may be the trick to get this off.  cheers 

Got me thinking some more.

I also happen to have an impact screwdriver set in my tool kit which I have not previously thought to apply to a stuck axle scenario.

After a good nights sleep, I now recall reading [many years ago] about a mechanics trick which was more related to removing drive shafts from the rear differential.

Retaining bolts would be loosened then the vehicle taken for a drive around the block. Makes sense that the movement of the suspension is helping to loosen the stuck parts.

I have never done this myself so just offered as further food for thought.