IS ANYONE OUT THERE A PLUMBER?!?!

corolla_2004

O.K, this is my last resort. Ive searched all over the internet, and asked a couple of plumbers that i know, but none could answer my question

I need to know how to turn on, and off, the "FERRULE" at the main water supply

Even a description of what a "FERRULE" looks like. So then i'll know what im looking for

Any help what-so-ever will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by corolla_2004

are you sure you don't mean ferrule? I now see you have editted it...

they are a piece of plastic or graphite that goes around a hose/pipe/tube where it connects to a join to prevent leaks.

a ferrule is not a thing you can turn off, a tap is... but you need to turn off that water at the mains to be able to open the join where the ferrule is.

**DISCLAIMER - I am not a plumber but have had to play with scientific equipment that made use of ferrules to prevent gas leaks**

ok man. thanks alot

i'll explain what the situation is, i have land in the country. the main water supply runs at the front of our land, and supplies us, and the rest of the street with water.

at the front of our land, we have a water meter. it has a brass strainer on it [facing up], and a gate valve.

the water supply company told us that we need to "turn the ferrule on at the mains"

i understand what your saying, and it speaks for itself.

i have tried turning the gate valve on, but nothing appears to happen. we are still left with no running water

we are the first or second block off the water supply, and the rest of the street after us seem to have running water

do you have any ideas what exactly the water company means when they say "turn the ferrule on at the mains" ??

because according to what you said above, this is impossible.

one more question, is the ferrule located on the meter? near the meter? or elsewhere?

thanks again

Generally there is a tap next to the water meter that you turn on to turn on the mains water. You shouldn't need to touch the ferrule as it's an internal component. Kind of like the butterfly in the throttle body kind of thing... you press the accellerator to open the butterfly, not open the butterfly directly. I think he was just using big words to sound smart and confuse you.

Turn on the Mains tap... that should be it... if not... have a look at your neighbours mains tap and see if it's se up the same as yours... it could give you clues...

hey thanks alot man!

i knew something was up when i couldnt find ANY information on the web, and even some plumbers looked at me funny!

i'll go down to the water company and ask THEM to come and turn it on

see what they do

cheers!