First post and headlamp query

JustGus

G'day all,

Happy to join this forum.  I'm trying to do most of the servicing on my 2005 Camry myself and hoping to learn from the collective wisdom here.  

I'm a bit stumped with this one: I realised the other day that my driver side low beam is no longer working, so this morning I popped the bonnet, removed the globe, which looked fine.  I checked for any corrosion on the contacts, but again everything seemed fine, so I put it back in and tried again.  It still failed to work, but when I turn on the high beams, all lamps are fine - on both sides of the car, the high and low globes illuminate.  If I dip it back to low, the drivers side low beam globe goes out again.

Clearly the globe itself is fine, but not sure what to do to fix it and any advice would be welcome. 

Swap the driver's and passenger side globes, see if the problem travels (that will 100% confirm whether it is the bulb itself or not).  Are they a combined dual-filament globe (probably H4) or separate globes for high and low?  With the combined bulbs you can get some funny occurrences, I had a scenario on my old AE102 where the brake light would come on when I press the pedal, the tail-light would come on when I turned the headlights on, but if I did _both_ then nothing happened (turned out one of the filaments had broken and was shorting out on the other

• Like 1