Remote not working properly

Hi lately the locking and unlocking using the remote has not always worked. At the moment I can lock the car using the key lock and used to be able unlocking doing same but now won't unlock this way. When I unlock using the remote it doesn't always work first go I have replaced the battery in the remote. Toyota want to charge $280 to do a diagnostic check as it could be more than just replacing the remote particularly because the key lock won't work to open the doors what do others think 

I recall seeing a video a while back about the keyfobs internal contacts not making proper contact with the battery so it would only work intermittently depending on battery orientation/luck. Might be worth having a look inside and bending back any contacts that look like they may not have a strong connection to the battery. 

EDIT: Oh just noticed you mentioned it locks but may not unlock, My idea might not be a solution to that issue. Could be worth a look for free though. 

Edited by Baxter190388

I'm guessing door lock actuator, but which one? Any of them that are faulty can prevent the rest from operating. At least that's how other cars I've driven work.

Just take to Toyota. $280 is crazy though.😳