starting a project

TA22PROJECT

bought a ta22 rolling shell for $500

its had all the rust cut out and i have stripped out all the interior ive been searchin the net for other and found some nice examples and gone through all my old hot4s mags.

i want an turbo engine that fits nicely but i dont know too much about celica's or the size of decent turbo engine's i was thinking bout a CA18DET OR FJ20DET i know the FJ wouldnt be as cheap as a CA but no one round my town has one.these engine are the most common ones i know about i dont really know any toyota except the ones in supra's 1J's or 2,3.

so i was hopin you guys can help me out im prettty excited thinkin of goin with hot house green or xr6 blue for the paintjob.i work at a panel beater/spraybooth in my spare time so i got that part easy just have to buy the paint.

alot of people were putting rotaries in them in my old magazines but i dont want one.

so if you guys no of people who know their stuff about TA22's or right engines that fit great or guys that have done all this themselves please let me know.......and if you have any idea's yourself that are mad to customise them let me know....................cheers

The 22 engine bay is slightly smaller then the 23 and 28 I think, so you are more limited with the choice of engines. You could try and shoehorn a 1G-GTE in there as it's a common transplant into 23s and 28s. Best bet for my mind is to put a 4A-GTE in there. It's also a common enough conversion that there are plenty of people (Toymods or Twincam) that can give you advice.

In the ACT there are a couple of classic celicas running around with 1JZ-GTEs under the bonnet, but this cannot be registered outside of the ACT due to engine restrictions for light weight road cars.