my car is really sluggish.. any idea why?

ZR 00 18

ok peeps. time to think..

my car: 7th gen manual celica. 65,000k's on the clock.

engine is getting worse as time goes on. now what i mean by worse is the acceleration off the mark. i almost (keyword, almost) got beat by a yaris ffs!

when i hit the gas and took my foot off the clutch, i wasnt movin for a good 1 to 2 seconds b4 the car decided to start rolling, and this was a slow acceleration... thank *** for the lift, cause thats what got me back on track...

i bought a new clutch kit (protex) but i havent installed it, and can easily return it. but after doin research, im not sure its my clutch but i could be wrong. i thought my clutch was slipping, but ppl define clutch slipping as 'rpm's rising, but the car doesnt move'. is that wrong/right?

when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd at about 60kph, the car flies instantly.. so if it was the clutch slipping, wouldnt it take abit to kick in?? im not sure.. just assuming... so really, im only having trouble off the mark.

this problem is more noticable on hills as i roll back and the damn car struggles to move off the mark, and if i over do the acceleration and clutch release, i end up skiddin. even if i bring the rpm's to a steady 3-4k, when i remove the clutch, the rpm's drop and then start from scratch. this becomes extremely bad when im trying to turn and a car is coming as my car doesnt accelerate quick enough...

what should i get changed/looked at by the mechanic?

i drove my mates '97 starlet to see if its just my driving, but i feel like his gears/clutch is 10x better than mine with response times...

umm i think when your car rev's but dosent go nowhere that means that the clutch is slipping.

not sure about your car but try cleaning your MAF sensor it helped my friend with a similar problem his car was real sluggish after he removed his intake and exhaust, cleaned his MAF and now its all good. responsive :D

if its not that then no idea dude. but goodluck!

vyets: THANK YOU :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

found instructions on here:

http://www.nopiforums.com/index.php?showto...entry9135

i done what was posted about cleanin the MAF, and it worked so far! i used WD40 instead of what they used.

i also changed the air filter cause i figured that if my sensor is dirty, then my air-filter must be bad, and i was right.. i purchased a valvoline one for $30 from supercheap.. working good so far.. any recommendations on a better filter?

now my car starts well, and idles good. and even with a cold start, the car seems to be moving heaps better...

cool dude. errr dont get a filter just go for a cold air intake :P its awsome or a short ram if ya want.

will it make my car... ..faster :D ?????? if so.. what speed/revs etc will i notice the power gain? and is it really worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

You used WD-40 to clean your MAF sensor??

Well obviously its working fine for your car then, cause some people advise against using WD-40 as it possibly leaves behind a thin film of lubricant. Probably won't make much of a difference, but if your really worried then try electical contact cleaner that leaves no residue whatsoever behind. The thing i hate about the internet is the amount of information that is available, need to read heaps before you know what is junk. I'm not saying that you are wrong or anything, so please don't get offended. To date i think the people on TOCAU really know their stuff B) .

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

You used WD-40 to clean your MAF sensor??

Well obviously its working fine for your car then, cause some people advise against using WD-40 as it possibly leaves behind a thin film of lubricant. Probably won't make much of a difference, but if your really worried then try electical contact cleaner that leaves no residue whatsoever behind. The thing i hate about the internet is the amount of information that is available, need to read heaps before you know what is junk. I'm not saying that you are wrong or anything, so please don't get offended. To date i think the people on TOCAU really know their stuff B) .

Cheers

WD is what i had on the spot.. worked for a week or 2 but then it got clogged again (not as bad as it originally was.. the sensor was BLACK!)

then i got a cleaner with no residue as WD has a degreaser in it.. that worked better...

ill change the air-filter to a k&n high flow soon...

i took out the butterfly valve and the engine now roars! (well.. sorta:P) i also felt some lower end gain as the air intake isnt restricted anymore...

ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WHERE I CAN GET A TRD FRONT LIP FROM to fit a 2000 zr????? in sydney/wollongong... thanks..

• 1 year later...