VW R32

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it can... if you took the wheels of the ferrari first...

I don't know, i reckon with the ferrari grinding the hubs along the ground for traction would still probably take that one out :P :P :P

i'm sure he was referring to a parking dual :P :lol:

Zee, how's the power/tourqe after 5500rpm? Is the turbo running out of steam to reach 7000rpm?

hell yeah!! big time, its actually the disappointing part of the 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo. :( Especially coming from a high revving NA where max torque is at 6800rpm and power at 7800rpm! It was hard to adjust at first, i get caught out many times and it requires a modified driving style to be honest, like i now upshift much earlier and use 3rd, 4th and 5th gear a lot more. I seldom rev past 5000rpm unless i am racing someone, at about 6000rpm is where the power/torque/boost starts to drop off, but it compensates by really hauling hard from 2500rpm.

To fix this issue an electronic boost controller will help keep boost at higher revs and also an aftermarket ECU is a must to free up more to end, along with exhaust and better intercooler ;). But all these cost money and i promised i won't be modifying :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

So its like the XR5 where tourqe began to drop as soon as it reaches 4000rpm, and becomes asmathic when it reaches 7000rpm max power.

Looks like Golf Gti got the best balance of tourqe/power. max tourqe and 5000rpm and max power at 5100rpm. But I guess the Mazda will be faster still when you shift at 5000rpm. So driving that car is the reverse of driving a sportivo eh? Instead of shifting at the highest rpm u could get into, u shift quite below the max rpm to stay in on-boost rpm ranges.

Edited by Danz

So its like the XR5 where tourqe began to drop as soon as it reaches 4000rpm, and becomes asmathic when it reaches 7000rpm max power.

Looks like Golf Gti got the best balance of tourqe/power. max tourqe and 5000rpm and max power at 5100rpm. But I guess the Mazda will be faster still when you shift at 5000rpm. So driving that car is the reverse of driving a sportivo eh? Instead of shifting at the highest rpm u could get into, u shift quite below the max rpm to stay in on-boost rpm ranges.

Yep spot on, MOTOR tested the car and said shifting at 5800-6000rpm was best. But seriously with 380nm of torque at 3000rpm you can shift anywhere between 5000-6000rpm and slip the clutch a bit into 2nd and it will just fire off with no lost of boost or bogging down.

Yeah, don't u just love it when u have usable tourqe. But thats until the top end power bug bites you - you want more!

Anyway, I have true interest in one of those hot-hatches. Dunno why really, but somehow I liked the XR5 the most. It looked so cool and funky, maybe not the best of all three, but somewhat fascinating to me.

Hmmmm

Yeah, don't u just love it when u have usable tourqe. But thats until the top end power bug bites you - you want more!

Anyway, I have true interest in one of those hot-hatches. Dunno why really, but somehow I liked the XR5 the most. It looked so cool and funky, maybe not the best of all three, but somewhat fascinating to me.

Hmmmm

The XR5 is nice too, basically same chassis and has same brakes, but the MPS has a few extra suspension braces, also has LSD, different Jap gearbox, Jap engine etc. etc. Ford dealers are less likely to do a deal because they are rare (production being so slow) and "German Engineered". The MPS however is not so limited, sold in Japan, USA, Europe and Australia/NZ i think you can also see quite a lot of aftermarket parts for it. Resale is not the best being Mazda but at least its the MPS. Ford's resale is nothing to shout about either, probably worse than Mazda. You might also want to consider service as well, i have also heard some pretty bad things about Ford servicing and their attitudes. Mazda service has been one of the best so far, better than Toyota ;) Just me when i was looking at my next car, unless of course you go for the obvious favourite, the double-u-r-rex :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Yeah thats the thing eh, MPS3 have plenty of aftermarket parts very soon since its available in Japan and USA - the two places of parts and gears. Well, If i got Ford XR5, I probably bring it to Volvo. Meheheheh! Ford ain't gonna get moolah from me, let the fella who built the engine do the service. But you're right, spending for car is more than for the car itself.

And yes, the MPS3 is what I think to be a real bargain for that price tag. $5k more than XR5 but u get so much more.

WRX? Mmmm....maybe not.

Yeah thats the thing eh, MPS3 have plenty of aftermarket parts very soon since its available in Japan and USA - the two places of parts and gears. Well, If i got Ford XR5, I probably bring it to Volvo. Meheheheh! Ford ain't gonna get moolah from me, let the fella who built the engine do the service. But you're right, spending for car is more than for the car itself.

And yes, the MPS3 is what I think to be a real bargain for that price tag. $5k more than XR5 but u get so much more.

WRX? Mmmm....maybe not.

u might be pleasantly surprised Danz with the on-road price difference, most XR5 owners paid close to $40k for their cars while i only paid $42k for my MPS with extras! Unless you want the "Lux" pack which is around $46k. and Ford is less likely to bargain with stock being so limited, Mazda however has plenty of stock.

Wow, 42k + extra is a steal man!

I just went through insurance quote, man, I don't think I can get insurance for any of them :( I'm only 22, looks like I can't get my hands on one until 25 :( Oh well, better progress on career first.

i got insurance! i'm only 24 :P paying $1400 full comp with NRMA.

hey thats a really good price!

Once I'm very serious into changing car I definitely will try the MPS3 1st. Hopefully I can grab insurance for reasonable price, and I think I'm done paying more than $2k for insurance (I did, for my Levin when I was still 19).

If not, back to 25 years old plan...somehow I felt that's a bit too long... :P