thrashing the stivo

An american guy here drives a sportivo...he has 130,000k's on it now. Looks like it's had a hard life, and it's still going strong. I guess we'll all find out how well the 2zz's hold up in 5 years time (with regular services of course).

I gave mine a really bad strapping last week (was being followed by insane ex gf), so I've been pussycatting it everywhere now. Going to have it serviced again very soon (every 5,000k's sounds good from now on).

An american guy here drives a sportivo...he has 130,000k's on it now. Looks like it's had a hard life, and it's still going strong. I guess we'll all find out how well the 2zz's hold up in 5 years time (with regular services of course).

I gave mine a really bad strapping last week (was being followed by insane ex gf), so I've been pussycatting it everywhere now. Going to have it serviced again very soon (every 5,000k's sounds good from now on).

Every 5000Ks?! :o Serious? i love my stivo too, only do high reving street driving n no track work but i can't afford a service for every 5000K....i'd be doing that like every three months!!

Wen u say hard...how hard is hard? :unsure:

Good man! 5000k's service for these babys is perfect, I've done the same since new. Good to see you fellas are looking after these horny cars of ours :P

Every 5000Ks?! :o Serious? i love my stivo too, only do high reving street driving n no track work but i can't afford a service for every 5000K....i'd be doing that like every three months!!

Depends tell us a little about your driving history and I'll give you my expert opinion :rolleyes:

10,000kms or 6 months whichever occurs first. If you track it or drive it hard then before and after every drag or track run is recommended.

Okz...me get it nowz...lolz me drivin style is aight for the half-yearly servicing ^_^

I only slam lift on 1 n 2 n sometimes on 3rd, but yea max like 3 - 4 times a week. B)

Petrol is a killer these days too, which is another reason :( ...

n yea also cause of the damn sticky acclerator <_<

I personally can get the service done very very cheap by my godfather @ his workshop in Sydney. Every 2nd time I go up to Sydney for the meets they have I'll get it serviced through him now. At least I know I can trust him...unlike Toyota.

5000 km is the way to go

keeps the engine running new

the gearbox on the other hand... :S

On the gearboxes/clucthes how do you get these right so as to thrash the bugger and enjoy the drive. Mine crunches in third - its only got ~5k on the clock as well!

5000 km is the way to go

On the gearboxes/clucthes how do you get these right so as to thrash the bugger and enjoy the drive. Mine crunches in third - its only got ~5k on the clock as well!

It's a fine art. Took me 20,000k's before I finally 'learnt' the gearbox and can now land lift on every shift without crunching. That clutch adjustment sure helped. 1st to 2nd is still shaky, nothing a HD clutch will fix in the long run though. Clutch adjustment is paramount on the stock clutch. It needs to be brought up more so as to compress the flywheel in more on application @ high revs.

Hm...the adjustment + HD clutch + strengthening the motor mounts = total bliss when shifting @ high revs. There's no 'fighting' to shift, pretty cool.

Edited by bADbOYz

5000 km is the way to go

It's a fine art. Took me 20,000k's before I finally 'learnt' the gearbox and can now land lift on every shift without crunching. That clutch adjustment sure helped. 1st to 2nd is still shaky, nothing a HD clutch will fix in the long run though. Clutch adjustment is paramount on the stock clutch. It needs to be brought up more so as to compress the flywheel in more on application @ high revs.

Hm...the adjustment + HD clutch + strengthening the motor mounts = total bliss when shifting @ high revs. There's no 'fighting' to shift, pretty cool.

Yep - will definitely push for that clutch adjustment then.

Fo sho...

Just get it done @ your toyota service center. I'll admit this is one thing they know how to do fairly well (or at least my guys do).

clutch will set you back $600 I think, and the motor mounts are just strengthened with gasket glue believe it or not lol, tis a DIY mod.

Fo sho...

Just get it done @ your toyota service center. I'll admit this is one thing they know how to do fairly well (or at least my guys do).

clutch will set you back $600 I think, and the motor mounts are just strengthened with gasket glue believe it or not lol, tis a DIY mod.

Apologies but what are the motor mounts - and what is the exact nature of the DIY mode. Anything that I can do myself I will do.

Fo sho...

Apologies but what are the motor mounts - and what is the exact nature of the DIY mode. Anything that I can do myself I will do.

They are at the very base of the motor. Not too sure how easy/hard they are to get to as I haven't bothered to do it yet (i'm waiting till I have an HD clutch). I'd pm Danz/Northy/banGn and ask them. Northy has done this I'm sure, Danz and banGn not too sure, but they are wonderboys when it comes to knowhow and DIY.

Fo sho...

They are at the very base of the motor. Not too sure how easy/hard they are to get to as I haven't bothered to do it yet (i'm waiting till I have an HD clutch). I'd pm Danz/Northy/banGn and ask them. Northy has done this I'm sure, Danz and banGn not too sure, but they are wonderboys when it comes to knowhow and DIY.

Good stuff! :)

I use my car daily, usually for work.....maybe 50km there... 50km back, usually putt around (fuel saving) and i find come the weekend when im all edgy bout going out i find hitting lift fairly poor for the first few times until i guess the cobwebs are blown out!

Toyota service tech told me once that if you dont use lift often its possible they may seize up... and truth in that peoples?

when u say service every 5000km i assume you are implying, topping up fluids and oil change + filter.

I have 56,000km on my sportivo and use mobile 1 fully synthetic since 1000km run in. and i've checked my oil after 9000km and has still been golden. now i dunno a great deal about engine oil but from wut i understand is this, if its gold keep it in, if its black drain it out. surely there coudlnt be an outstanding difference between the two, i mean obviously the fresh stuff is always gonna be better but if its barely even changed colour.. just dont see the point

I use my car daily, usually for work.....maybe 50km there... 50km back, usually putt around (fuel saving) and i find come the weekend when im all edgy bout going out i find hitting lift fairly poor for the first few times until i guess the cobwebs are blown out!

Toyota service tech told me once that if you dont use lift often its possible they may seize up... and truth in that peoples?

when u say service every 5000km i assume you are implying, topping up fluids and oil change + filter.

I have 56,000km on my sportivo and use mobile 1 fully synthetic since 1000km run in. and i've checked my oil after 9000km and has still been golden. now i dunno a great deal about engine oil but from wut i understand is this, if its gold keep it in, if its black drain it out. surely there coudlnt be an outstanding difference between the two, i mean obviously the fresh stuff is always gonna be better but if its barely even changed colour.. just dont see the point

Keep in mind our cars are revving @ 8,000rpm at times lol. I'm paranoid about protecting them. The S2000 boys are the same (their redline is @ 8,750).

i'm seeing better built in a few posts here???

Sorry, did i miss a meeting?!?!?!??!, Its a toyota. They are all built very well. Why would it change from one model to the next?

on the topic of fanggin' it. I give my camry 6 a good serivce every 5-8k kms, and yeah, she loves it ;)

I say, "Drive it Hard, Maintain it Hard". the car will go for years with simple maintainence.

I have spoken