Slight Rollback on Slope Parking?

mulla

Hi All,

Been lurking around for a while, definately learning heaps from the people in the forum. Now I have a question of my own :huh:

I have a 2005 Altise V6 that I've purchased back in Feb 2005 and ever since I've got the vehicle there's been an issue with parking on a slope (not a massive 45o slope but even a little gentle one). The car seemed to "roll back" say a cm or two upon releasing of the brakes. I would engage the handbrake and release brakes and the car would roll back or forward a little each time.

Told the dealer about it during a service and they claim that it's normal. We have several other cars (2006 Honda Civic, 2005 Hyundai Elantra) in the family that I've driven but they never have this "issue".

Just wondering if this is normal for the Camry / Toyota? I find this rather annoying and I can't say park too close to any objects behind me fearing that I would hit it once I release the brakes.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hey mate, welcome to the forum! :D

With my 06 Corolla it does exactly the same thing.

When parked on a slope and I put it in [P] with the handbrake on, then release the brake pedel it slightly moves forward then stops. Even my old Camry did the same thing, so it may have somthing to do with the way Toyota designs there handbrake mechanisims?

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

It's good to know that it's not only me. Being the first Toyota ever for the family, I wasn't sure if it's Toyota or there was some problem with my car. Anyway now I can stop worrying about it and continue to enjoy my car. Absolutely loved it!! :lol:

Thanks for the advice! Sometimes when I pull the handbrake harder I noticed it doesn't roll as much or not at all. I was afraid of "damaging" stuff by pulling on it too hard, hm... I'll pull on it harder next time! As my partner always complains "Stop worrying and just drive the thing" :blink:

I know when I drive the company cars at work (echo or yaris / both auto's) I tend to knock it into N, put the park brake on, release the foot brake, then knock it into P. Then the car isn't riding / parked on the gearbox and doesn't make a *** awaful crunch noise when start off again :)

But I know that no-one else does it this way, so yeah. People dont care if it's not there car which is a shame, coz the car should be a nicer drive if they took a little bit of care with it :)

I know when I drive the company cars at work (echo or yaris / both auto's) I tend to knock it into N, put the park brake on, release the foot brake, then knock it into P. Then the car isn't riding / parked on the gearbox and doesn't make a *** awaful crunch noise when start off again :)

But I know that no-one else does it this way, so yeah. People dont care if it's not there car which is a shame, coz the car should be a nicer drive if they took a little bit of care with it :)

So is that the "proper" way to park for any auto cars or just Toyotas? Never heard of that before, might try this strategy next time! Might have to write an ugly post it and put it in on the gear stick as a reminder :P

yes i have a gen 5 and when on slopes if you let the car roll back slightly onto the P gear the next time you change from P you will get a crunch sound :|

so i always pull the handbrake up, put the car in N, let go of the foot brake for the handbrake to grab then put it into P

according to toyota the handbrake should be set to engage properly after 7 clicks..that means it won't 'squash' the rubber moulding while have a strong hold.

once my handbrake was really screwed and pulling it up more than 8 clicks wouldn't even hold the car up on a small hill lol...

Edited by migoreng

So is that the "proper" way to park for any auto cars or just Toyotas? Never heard of that before, might try this strategy next time! Might have to write an ugly post it and put it in on the gear stick as a reminder :P

there is no "proper" way, just the best way to keep every lasting longer :)

Thanks guys for the parking "tip" :lol:

Tried that today and it seemed to work ok... However, "sometimes" when in N and with the handbrake on, the car would continue to roll back on a hill?! Is that because I haven't engaged the handbrake properly / hard enough? I've pulled it up till there's harder resistance and stopped.

That's probably how hard I normall pull it in my old car and all other cars... Should it be pulled harder :( Maybe I should to back to the old method :(

Argh... certainly don't want any knobs falling off!!! :huh:

Guess I'll keep the old method, my previous car lasted me 15 years on that without any probs...

Big thanks for everyone who offered advice! Much appreciated :)

Edited by mulla