Corolla Ascent Transmission Whine

Hi, I recently took delivery of a brand new Corolla Ascent with automatic transmission. Rolla is fine, except for a high-pitched whining sound cutting in sharply at 60 km/h before fading out again. Informed the dealer at the 1,000k service - they recommended I monitor this until the 5,000k service. The sound has grown no better or worse, just slightly more annoying as I wait for it every time. It grows slightly louder under harder throttle. My daughter treats it as a built in speed alert. Was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar and what they did about it?

My 06 Corolla is Auto and I havent noticed any whining noise. Ill keep an ear out for you when I drive home.

Would you have a recording of this sound im curious on what it sounds like.

My 06 Corolla is Auto and I havent noticed any whining noise. Ill keep an ear out for you when I drive home.

Would you have a recording of this sound im curious on what it sounds like.

Thanks Saiya, I tried recording the sound but couldn't get it clearly. Too much road noise. It's like a high pitched whistle :whistling: in C# like a tuning fork. Always at the same speed, always the same pitch. My dealer doesn't seem too worried (but I bet they'd note it in a trade-in valuation <_< ).

Yeah ive been driving with the windows down for a few days now due to to the hot weather and I dont notice any whine.

I do hear kinda like a belt powering up noise kinda thing but sounds prity normal.

Next time you go into server get them to fix up the issue as it may cuase some other problems.

hey dude my Corolla ascent manual transmission was making a high pitched whine as well, but only when i hit like 190kmh hahaha!. and when i was on octane booster it didnt come on until about 200kmh. i asked my mate who is a toyota mechanic and he just laughed and said "probly coz they're not meant to go that fast"

anyway, try throwing octane booster in the tank and see if you have any difference. then it may not be the transmission coz i wasnt sure exactly what it was. altho i wasnt too worried coz its not often i hit 200km/h

• 3 months later...

Well the dealer had a look during the 5K service and said nope, no whining noise there. So I took him for a drive whereupon he said yes, actually there was a slight sound. But not to worry, this wasn't a problem - every car generates its own unique sounds and it's still under warranty anyway.

Feeling somewhat uneasy, I began trawling the web and the nearest I could find to my complaint was a suspected case of a faulty final drive assembly in a 1994 Camry. The diagnosis given there was a bit more serious:

"it's not going to break suddenly [...] It's just going to get slowly worse [...] The problem is an improper gear mesh between the ring gear and pinion gear in the differential. Make sure your dealer writes his diagnosis on your service slip, so that you have proof that the problem started during the warranty period. [...] Replacing the gears in the final drive is a big job"

(see http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1997/August/05.html for the full page).

So next time think I'll be taking the dealer for a drive and getting him to document this "unique sound" - just in case.

So next time think I'll be taking the dealer for a drive and getting him to document this "unique sound" - just in case.

Good thinking. That way it is at least documented.