Toyota Tarago 92 Sound System Change

Sarge

Hey all,

I just like to say this is an awesome forum with great info for all toyota owners! keep it up.

Ok ive been reading about removing the stock tape deck from the taragos. It seems simple enough. Im going to purchase a new double din deck, speakers and an amp for the van.

Just a few things i want to know.

1) Will the switching of decks be a matter of unplug the old, plugin the new or do wires need to be cut, things be drilled out etc?

2) The back speakers in my van are blown. Does anyone have any information or a link to maybe somewhere in these forums where someone shows a guide on how to remove the speakers?

Is there anything in particular i need to know before i start pulling stuff out? Im sure i can do this and ive got a mate who is gunna help be set it all up. He said just to make sure we know how to put the deck in before we do anything. Is it like a computer? Is everything colour coded, fits only one way etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I"ve never worked on a tarago before so here is some tips i can give you on general audio installation.

The new headunit will most likely not be the same plug as the toyota head unit, so you will ahve to either purchase a adapter loom from an audio shop (if they do have one for your car, or cut the head of the old loom off and splice the wires to the new headunit loom.

There's a thread on the forums with the loom pin layouts so you can match them to the new ones.

once you got the wiring done, your're all set for the HU!

• 2 years later...

Yeah basicly what he said.... You WILL have to cut the old plug off (Highly unlikelt you`ll get an adapter) The color coding on the tarago`s are NOT the same as us guys her do stereo`s ourself would expect.. Red (Ignition) Yellow (Contant Power) Oh no they are a #$%$@ of a setup... I have a diagram that will assist in colors if you want. Let me know.