3SGE experts pleas help!!

SubbyRS

Hi guys,

Newbie forum member, hoping you can help me out....

Background: car is a dead stock Celica SSII auto, so has the 3SGE with A140E transmission. We've owned it for 4 years and never had any probs whatsoever until late last week......

Backed it out of the garage and discovered 3-4 teaspoons of engine oil had leaked out from somewhere......damn I thought....

Peered up underneath and found the following (excuse pics quality);

336849954_2767859798_o.jpg

336849945_29c8aac508.jpg

336849946_01837d2210_o.jpg

Does this look familiar to you guys? the leaking is pretty much localised to what you see in the pics, as you can see the oil has travelled up & down the engine mount crossmember thingy.

There's no oil leaking down the back of the head/block, and no oil leaking from the dizzy so I'm thinking either leaking sump or leaking rear mail seal....any definite thoughts/ideas??

The local dealer "wasn't too sure" and quoted AUD$140 to replace the sump gasket (is there one??), but said it would be around AUD$700 if it's a rear main seal. Now that sounds absolutely ridiculous given the cost of seal kits - is he off his head??

As an aside, the ST202 Celica never had the 3SGE here in Auz (much like the States) but the MR2 did....so it's not like the Toyota dealers will be unfamiliar with the motor.....

Q: is the Celica 3SGE much different from the MR2 3SGE?? they're both transverse so I guess not...?

Couple of new pics: I undid the engine crossmember to get a better view.

Q: if the main seal has gone, should I expect the ring gear to be splashed with oil?? it looks clean, but there's a small pool at the bottom, you can see it in the mirror...

338019243_4b164129c5_o.jpg

338019241_ba6b54c9ed_o.jpg

Hoping you can shed some light on this for me, I had a good look around but couldn't really find what I need to know.

Cheers all

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

agreed wif ralyrt,They use a sealant called threebond for the sumps, even for the timing covers,ur boys definetly off his nut bro,700 for a job like that is a farce..looks a lil unclear bro,i rebuilt a 3sgte i cant figure out where ur leak is..u might have to just degrease & then take another peep when everythings dry.it looks like a rear main to me from here