Sub Running of Stock HU

Brad!

Well i got it done.

Yesterday i got a Pioneer sub and amp hooked up to my stock head unit, and well no complaints. Sounds good, still have rear speakers, to be honest, its hard to tell its not using proper RCA's.

The install.

I went to Lifestyle store in North Parra, and they gave me a figure of $295 with all wiring. At first this seemed way to much as i had been quoted $190 from JB. It then clicked to me that this was with a stinger LOC and without the wiring kit.

The install from Lifestyle used a alpine spliter, and i thought u would pay that little bit extra to get what i thought would be a better job.

Dropped the car off in the morning, then went to pick it up. The whole time i was thinking something will go wrong and when i got there, well i heard the guy say "Show him the install, but tell him the amp isnt working". I held my self, and looked over the install, which i have to say was very well done, neat and tidy, as you would expect.

He told me that one of the plugs on my amp was broken and when you put the 2nd RCA in it would stop working. I thought o well have to get back to work, ill sort it out later. Driving back to work, the sound was brilliant, and i had no complaints.

Last night i decided to look at the amp and see what the problem was with the RCA's. I plugged them in and well, it worked full power.

Only complaints with lifestyle -

1. Salesman way to pushy, dont go there if you find it hard to say NO.

2. They kept the RCA cables even though they weren't used.

Apart from that, perfect

Good Work Brad....

I too am using a sub and amp set up off the stock head unit, I have no problems withthe sound, and mine cost me all up around $150 (although I did the labour myself)....

:toast:

been running this setup for the last few months...

ROLLA2amps.jpg

the kickers came first, then the punch's were installed just over a month ago. all this with the stock hu... which the cd player no longer functions for some reason...

**edit**

this is an old diagram i drew up while i was installing the punchs.

looks like i 4got the little rca adaptor thingy i bought from autobarn for 14.95. you gotta basically solder the wires from this to the corresponding stock speaker wires to send the signal through the rcas and into the amps. not complicated if you are into DIY. btw i DIY'd so i saved on installation!

**SHAKE N BAKE!**

i mean...

***PUNCH N KICK!***

Edited by JJCRU23R

i left my rear speakers stock.

DSCF1527.jpg

driver and front passenger get priority when it comes 2 best sound... so the punch's are up front.

i have an 11month old in the back seat and i dont have a need 4 HUGE bass.

i can turn it up to 11 if i was driving on my own, but otherwise, its set to a minimum with the kid in the back.

DSCF1113.jpg

as you can see in my pic... its only 8 inchz... but lookz good! punchz bass like a 10" without taking the amount of space a regular 10 would.

whoever came up with the idea that subs HAD to be 12"- 15" for decent bass musta been deaf by the age of 20. i aint putting my car into no car audio competition and i didnt need 1!

since i made the box to fit the corner i have FULLY functional hatch space for shopping, the stroller fits, and gives my a$s a good rub when i wanna feel some bass

its not the size that matterz, its how you use it :)

**SHAKE N BAKE!**

Edited by JJCRU23R

As I have told you in the past Jase, looks good. Nice install for a compact style system. Yet another example of a practical method of running subs of a standard HU. Mine isn't as in depth as yours. I have still got the stock front and rear speakers in the car. To run my sub, all I have done is spliced the rear speaker wires where the begin their journey up the 'B' pillar and tapped into that signal for my signal into the amp, then off to doof doof land in my sub wooooofer.

When the missus is in the car, I just fade the rears out simple..... and the amp is located under my front passenger seat, and have the line for the sub popping through the hole in the middle of the boot floor for the chld seat bolt is.

Cheers

Aaron

been running this setup for the last few months...

ROLLA2amps.jpg

the kickers came first, then the punch's were installed just over a month ago. all this with the stock hu... which the cd player no longer functions for some reason...

**edit**

looks like i 4got the little rca adaptor thingy i bought from autobarn for 14.95. you gotta basically solder the wires from this to the corresponding stock speaker wires to send the signal through the rcas and into the amps. not complicated if you are into DIY. btw i DIY'd so i saved on installation!

**SHAKE N BAKE!**

i mean...

***PUNCH N KICK!***

in reference 2 ur display, now ur puttin down that u are using RCA LEADS? coz as far as i knw our stock HU dnt have rca imputs or outputs....... have i missed sumfin????

in reference 2 ur display, now ur puttin down that u are using RCA LEADS? coz as far as i knw our stock HU dnt have rca imputs or outputs....... have i missed sumfin????

i was just about to ask about that... RCA leads in stockies???

Didn't read too well did we my pettles...... :P

**edit**

thanks azza...

i was just scrolling down from my last post thinking...

HOLDDAFUCUP! I DID MENTION THE RCA'Z?!!?

lol!

some people are just visual... they dont bother with text!?!

not putting you down or nothing... just an observation - i gotta notice that kinda crap from my students since im learning 2b a teacher.. heapz of ppl do it

overpriced i say...

if you really just want it to WORK.. then your ears wont hear the difference between a 14.95 part or the same part from another brand that costs 4-5 times more.

thats kinda why im not so sure id upgrade my avalanche amp to another kicker or RF to power the Punchs.

if the avalanche fails me, then maybe id get something with a brand name on it. as long as the bugger works its all sounding GOOOOODD 2me :P

and another thing.- my avalanche has survived since 2003, being screwed onto the back of a sub box carrying 2x 10" subs while i was still driving my landcruiser.. and i drove over anything and everything to get to where i wanted to go. lotza rough bumps along the way, but the amp never once malfunctioned.. so i think a lot has 2 be said about the more affordable brands.

Edited by JJCRU23R

so what about the RCA's on the hu.... lol now i see it... true u kinda drift off n just look at the pretty pictures lol

$80 for a LOC... overpriced

compare it to $40 for the stinger... although i still think $40 is allot.... i'm pretty sure u can get it for $15ish like wat JJCRU23R said

oh and one thing... does your hu have a remote wire??? i'm not sure if my friend's hu has it (citroen)... i was thinking of connecting it to acc with a switch

Edited by d_ice

who me? d-ice you helped me with this audio setup remember? the remote wire from the amp connects to 1 of those wires that comes out the back of the head unit. cant recall the function of the wire but from memory it was the grey 1.

Edited by JJCRU23R

Didn't read too well did we my pettles...... :P

**edit**

THANKS CHAMP U ANSEWERD MY QUESTION!!!! VERY GOOD

me thinks that saying only applies 4 things that dont work... hehe

i dunno.. but yea.. if youve got the money to spend on some quality name brand audio equipment then good on you.

as long as you keep your recipt n warranty papers then your pretty much secure that it would work perfectly. peice of mind in what u buy is a good thing 2 have

who me? d-ice you helped me with this audio setup remember? the remote wire from the amp connects to 1 of those wires that comes out the back of the head unit. cant recall the function of the wire but from memory it was the grey 1.

did i??? lol i got a really screwed up memory... but since i'v neva opened up the new corollas n had a look at the deck i neva new that they come with a 'rem' wire... i hope my friend's citroen's deck comes with it too... since i'm gonna be doin the install i don't want it to look too ghetto by having a switch for the 'rem'

na man its not actually a remote wire..

its some other wire that basically does the same function when you wire up your remote wires to it.

just checked what the grey wire is on our rolla.

its the +12 volt ignition wire if that means anything to you.

tell your mate to check WWW.INSTALLDR.COM to search wiring diagrams for his stock stereo.

Edited by JJCRU23R

all you need is a wire thats "live" when the stereo is on, like the main power cable, but not the other one "forgot what its called" that keeps you clock and settings there.