Sub Running of Stock HU

Brad!

i remember that i did try to connect the remote wire to other wires like the clock n stuff but the grey wire did what i initally wanted it to do.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

one thing i noticed on my setup is that the speakers still make a faint hissing noise even when the stereo is off.. and ive only turned the key on so that just the accessories is on.

turns out that both my amps still light up even if the stereo is off. this is a problem if you dont want to waste your batteries!

so connecting the remote to the grey wire isnt the perfect solution IMHO. what it comes down to is that if you are sitting in your car with the engine and stereo off, take the key out of the ignition. your still draining energy from your batteries if you hooked up your remote wires the way i did.

what u do is... get a test screwdriver... the one with the light... n just test all the terminals to see if they do have any power... u SHOULD (depends on the deck) end up with 3 +ve terminals... one is constant power (connected to the battery) it stays on even if u turn the car off... one is acc it stays on when the acc is on... and the "rem" terminal which is supplied by the deck not the car, it only stays on when the actual deck is on (keep the acc on and just turn the deck off from the power button)... that's the cable u should connect to the amp... BUT i don't know if some stock decks come with it... almost 99.99% of current decks come with it anyway (blue wire)

oh and there could be another 4th +ve terminal for the dimmer... it dims the lights on the deck when the headlights are on... it's only +ve when the headlights are on

my 2c

Edited by d_ice

The cables running from the back of the stock head unit are as follows:

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Left

Rear Right

Power

Remote

Earth

Aerial

Don't ask me the colours because I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. When I get home from work tonight, I will pull my dash apart and take photo's for you.

Yes!!!! The Stock Head Unit has a remote wire. If this is connected to the remote input on the amp, and the other amp power is connected to a constant (ie - directly to the battery via a fuse) and the earth is connected correctly, then unless you have some serious issues with your cars wiring, you should not have any electrical problems (other than eventually burning out your alternator because the stock Corolla one's are crap).....

Essentially, when wired in this manner, turning off the head unit will turn the amp off (however there will still be a constant power supply to the amp, although the amp will not function).

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Aaron

if its not the grey wire.. (mine is connected to the grey1) is it the blue/yellow wire?

i'm 80% sure that the blue/yellow wire is wrong... as the diagram shows... it's 12V+ constant ie connected straight to the battery... the color is the same in most toyotas including mine... by hooking up that wire to the remote terminal on the amp.... that means the amp is going to be constantly on no matter what... very bad... test the grey wire (that JJCRU23R mentioned) with a testing screwdriver... turn the acc on... turn the cd player on... now test the wire, there should be current flowing (the light on the screwdriver should turn on)... now keeping the acc on, turn the cd player off... n if the light on the screwdriver goes off then yes it's the right wire....

2c

EDIT: oh i just noticed on the diagram above it says that gray is the ignition wire (acc wire)... that COULD basically work... but it means that even if the cd player is off and the car is on, then the amp is still gonna be on.... umm just one thing... do the corolla cd players have an on/off button??? can u turn the cd player off without turning the car off??? if no then u'r only option would be to connect to the acc wire (grey one)

Edited by d_ice

yep i did all that testing without the kinky little screwdriver :P

how else do u do it? i ended up soldering the remote wire to EVERY other possible wire i could think of. :P

made a bit of a mess... but nothing electrical tape couldnt cover up hahaha

the grey wire isnt the perfect solution, but its the best 1 you got when hookin amps up to your stocky

Edited by JJCRU23R

yep i did all that testing without the kinky little screwdriver :P

how else do u do it? i ended up soldering the remote wire to EVERY other possible wire i could think of. :P

made a bit of a mess... but nothing electrical tape couldnt cover up hahaha

the grey wire isnt the perfect solution, but its the best 1 you got when hookin amps up to your stocky

i kind of misread u'r first post of the page... i got a small solution for u... a little ghetto but better than nothing

the aftermarket deck in a friend's car was screwed up n the remote wire wasn't working... so it's as if it didn't even have one... kinda like u'r stock deck...

i connected the remote wire from the amp to the acc wire (grey one) just like u did... i also put a switch on that wire... so when u turn the cd player off u turn the amp(s) off with the switch too... it could also be used to listen to music through non amped speakers only by turning the amp(s) off... good when having kids/elderly in the car... depending on the car u just have to figure out where to put the switch... it doesnt have to be a massive one u can get away with a MICRO switch verry small n discrete

nice to see that the switch actually works!

i was actually thinking of that idea while i was installing my 2nd amp.

it made a lot of sense and i realised all the benefits youve mentioned, but i was already in the middle of installation... and wasnt possible 4 me to drive the car at the time since both my front seats were sitting in the driveway... another problem is that the remote wire i have wouldnt be long enough to accomodate a switch, meaning i gotta buy longer wire.

but yea.. if i had thought of that b4 hand and bought a switch.. id have 1 in already

u can buy a 25m roll of wire for $3.... i got two at home n they just happen to be blue hehehe... if we meet up in a cruise or a meet or something i'll be more than happy to "donate" some... i HIGHLY doubt i'll finish two whole rolls lol

considering the remote wire costs $3/metre from autobarn + jbhifi... 25m/$3 is a bargain!

is it decent wire? same thickness as regular remote wire?

it's pretty thin... but then again the remote wire is only used to carry a SIGNAL not power the whole amp... so it should be good enough... i think a thicker one is like $5/25m... Jaycar is u'r buddy go check it out on the website... actually it might not be 25m i can't remember maybe it's 15m... but anywayz go check it out on the website... Jaycar for sum reason is always cheaper than D*ck Smith

Edited by d_ice

• 4 months later...
Very over priced but at the end of the day

"you pay for what you get"

true.. i had problems with my ground wires coz they weren't properly grounded... but i DIY'd it.. paid nothing to get it done.. DIY'd again to fix it and no problems in relation to the equipment or anything else since then:P my $$$ still managing to go a long long way :P

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound kinda strange, but I'd like to thank youse all for your various comments regarding the installation of an amp and sub. You saved me having to pay someone to do it for me, and I got to take the car apart... again.

I have just put in a Fusion Powerplant 16004 powering a Pioneer Champion 307D2.

It is set very low.

I am currently deaf.

And loving it.

I even spliced in a switch on the remote cable (thanks D-Ice - your suggestion!), and put the switch by the coin holder next to the mirror control.

It is absolutely friggin sweet.

Sarah is going to kill me.

• 4 months later...

if it does effect sound quality, its barely noticable. i didnt notice any loss of sound quality at all. even if you use the stock head unit, if you amp up some new speakers then logically you would IMPROVE the sound... (unless the installer totally F*CKS it up then you shouldnt worry!)

i soldered an rca adaptor to the speaker wires that came out of the stock head unit, then i hooked up the rcas directly to the amp. if i guess if i did a dodgy job with the rca adaptor id have static or something.. but the thing is i dont!

i think ive said this before... if you arent trying to enter autosalon, then the stuff weve been saying should be good enough.

if you wanna improve sound quality, why not have a go at sound deadening or if you have the money, get yourself an aftermarket stereo and go pay someone to install all your stuff.

Edited by JJCRU23R

i've done a few full car systems on my past cars, but never tried anything on the standard HU.

i've got bits and pieces to make up 3/4 of a decent system so i'll give that a go. all i need is a sub and i'm set..

then installing a little rca adaptor to the stock speaker wires behind the stock headunit wont be a problem for you.

if you wanna be more adventurous and mod your stock head unit so that it actually has RCA plugs on it, someone on this forum DID solder some on a while back.

all they did was solder the connections the circuit board... totally cool 11/10!

4got the link though. have fun finding it!