Kluger DVD rear unit - question: can we hook up external video to it?

Taka

Crossing the Pacific to see what they have in the Greenback states.

One forum member suggested that there is a RCA plug to the DVD system and can play PS3 in ti :blink:

Link here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225209

If it is good I won't be driving the car anymore. :rolleyes: I will be at the back seat with the kids playing Wii :idea:

I cannot find where they said it supposed to be located. So I concluded that either I cannot find it from all the junks there is already in the boot atm; Or it is not wired up.

So I looked up the owners manual. Nothing. :help:

But I found one interesting fact: What is the VIDEO button on the machine and on the remote for??

If it is good I won't be driving the car anymore. :rolleyes: I will be at the back seat with the kids playing Wii :idea:

haha :yahoo: ... Make sure you have your wrist straps on taka.. and you better not play bowling while car is moving either.. :spiteful:

• 2 weeks later...
I still can't find the RCA plugs.... con thread from the US.

Im hopefully going to take the DVD shroud off on the weekend to wire in external speakers so I let you know If I find any thing up there

I noticed the Video button on the remote aswell it does nothing like the blank switch on the DVD.

The tow bars going in first then I will work on the DVD problem, HID's are all in and done

Edited by PC XT

We could not remove the DVD shroud still need more time and a little bit of help from a Toyota freind.

Rear Tow bar went in with easy and the DVD now has 4 fixed rear NXT speakers and even a small sub woofer, just got to get rid of the wine/buzzing noise

Has any one noticed you cant turn off the DVD from the DVD? Only from the remote

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...

Found these sites the first one is quite handy is an online manual ,

the American car does have a rear input and power source for the rear DVD near the rear seats as shown on the toyotaiguide site, so it is possible to have it we just need someone to pull apart their unit to have a look , any volunteers. May be able to order it as a part from Toyota America

Amazing what is not in the Australian car that is in the US car. DVD will play in front screen, voice recognition for sat nav, tyre pressures etc etc and the unit appears to be excactly the same so should be able to hack or get software to add to our sat nav dvd disc to make it all work.

toyota iguide

This site is a good forum site for the US highlander highlander forum , have read a few of the posts , but is very time consuming maybe have a look and report back any usefull info.

I tried the post on how to play dvd on front screen but it did not work, we do not have a cd/aux button, only a cd button.

I am sure it can be done it has just not been programmed for Aust cars, typical Toyota

Also apparently you can program your remote to open the sunroof, I didnt try that one yet

Yeah, I'd gladly have trye pressure monitor... too bad it's not avaliable here :angry:

Found these sites the first one is quite handy is an online manual ,

the American car does have a rear input and power source for the rear DVD near the rear seats as shown on the toyotaiguide site, so it is possible to have it we just need someone to pull apart their unit to have a look , any volunteers. May be able to order it as a part from Toyota America

Amazing what is not in the Australian car that is in the US car. DVD will play in front screen, voice recognition for sat nav, tyre pressures etc etc and the unit appears to be excactly the same so should be able to hack or get software to add to our sat nav dvd disc to make it all work.

toyota iguide

This site is a good forum site for the US highlander highlander forum , have read a few of the posts , but is very time consuming maybe have a look and report back any usefull info.

I tried the post on how to play dvd on front screen but it did not work, we do not have a cd/aux button, only a cd button.

I am sure it can be done it has just not been programmed for Aust cars, typical Toyota

Also apparently you can program your remote to open the sunroof, I didnt try that one yet

No u don't want to have TPMS (tyre pressure motoring system). It basically a sensor inside the tyre of each wheel, giving radio signal to the central unit. If there is low tyre pressure sensed - it give error signal on dash.

Problem is:

1. Not all wheels compatible with TPMS.

2. Balancing is hard in Aussie tyre shop who does not see them easily (because the unit has to be placed in the right spot first)

3. Changing spare will have the light on (since the spare may not have it).

4. Some people's TPMS is too sensitive.

But anyhow they are good units, if they work perfectly.

Still want one... but ut looks like its is hard to get & support it. Just for my curiosity: how are these sensors powered - battery?

Thanks

No u don't want to have TPMS (tyre pressure motoring system). It basically a sensor inside the tyre of each wheel, giving radio signal to the central unit. If there is low tyre pressure sensed - it give error signal on dash.

Problem is:

2. Balancing is hard in Aussie tyre shop who does not see them easily (because the unit has to be placed in the right spot first)

Sounds like we missed out on a lot the US got :angry:

At this point I still cant get the DVD cover off, if any one knows something about it would be a great help, as Toyota have No idea as the car is too new now :rolleyes:

At least now we have a DVD/ MP3 Audio Input for the rear passengers which you can hear through out the whole car very well :yahoo:

I might have missed an info on how did you do that - could you please let me know?

Thanks

The hard way, I installed a small Creative 2.1 PC system in the back with TINY sub woofer and 4 NXT speakers basically now the kids can listen to DVD with out the headphones on 24/7 cost around $150 all up because I had to buy two speaker systems to get what I wanted. Sound sweet for the $$$. Thats how I discovered the DVD Doesn't turn off automatically with the ignition is turned on and off also you cant stop it from the rear unless you use the remote or eject the DVD.....VERY Strange :blink:

• 2 months later...

At this point I still cant get the DVD cover off, if any one knows something about it would be a great help, as Toyota have No idea as the car is too new now :rolleyes:

Does any one know any one that has done this yet? I still have a audio cable running across my roof! :angry:

Apparently (toyotanation is the source) the hybrid (and only hybrid :blink: ) model in US displays actual PSI's... that what I'd like to have...

Problem is:

• 9 months later...

Does any one know any one that has done this yet? I still have a audio cable running across my roof! :angry:

Did you end up with any success on this. I'm expecting delivery on my Grande next week, and I've asked my dealer about this as well, no surprises that they still don't have a clue.

Thanks....

Did you end up with any success on this. I'm expecting delivery on my Grande next week, and I've asked my dealer about this as well, no surprises that they still don't have a clue.

Thanks....

Nope cable still hanging there for over a year now!

It doesn't seem to worry any one!!

Thanks....

Bother. I was hoping to achieve both an Aux input and sound output via the sat-nav head-unit. I guess I'll have a shot at removing the cover of the RSE DVD player when the Grande arrives, and see what I can see.

Thanks anyway, and I'll post if I have any success.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks....

Bother. I was hoping to achieve both an Aux input and sound output via the sat-nav head-unit. I guess I'll have a shot at removing the cover of the RSE DVD player when the Grande arrives, and see what I can see.

Just an update. I took my car to Northfield Car Sound in Moorooka (Brisbane), and they fitted a VAISTech SoundLinq SLI interface for my iPod. I went for the SLI on their advice, as it has the AUX input, and here's the best bit, the audio out of the overhead DVD (in the rear) already comes down the passenger A-pillar. Apparently the Northfield guys have done this a lot, so they just pick it up there where it terminates at some factory connector, and use the SLI's AUX input, to get the read DVD audio to play through the factory sound system. Works a treat.

The Northfield guys said they would also have a go at getting my video ipod connected to the AUX input on the rear screen. Unfortunately, the Toyota Grande Rear DVD doesn't have an AUX Video input (despite have the switch on the facia, and the US Highlander having this), so there's no way to patch my ipod into it. BTW, the Rear DVD is a Panasonic Unit (Matsu****a to be specific, I can give a model number if anyone cares, not Fujitsu Ten as reported elsewhere in these forums), and the PCB inside it has empty IC sockets for the AUX video and and FM transmitter components. Dang

Hopefully this saves someone else some questions later on.....

Thanks....

Just an update. I took my car to Northfield Car Sound in Moorooka (Brisbane), and they fitted a VAISTech SoundLinq SLI interface for my iPod. I went for the SLI on their advice, as it has the AUX input, and here's the best bit, the audio out of the overhead DVD (in the rear) already comes down the passenger A-pillar. Apparently the Northfield guys have done this a lot, so they just pick it up there where it terminates at some factory connector, and use the SLI's AUX input, to get the read DVD audio to play through the factory sound system. Works a treat.

The Northfield guys said they would also have a go at getting my video ipod connected to the AUX input on the rear screen. Unfortunately, the Toyota Grande Rear DVD doesn't have an AUX Video input (despite have the switch on the facia, and the US Highlander having this), so there's no way to patch my ipod into it. BTW, the Rear DVD is a Panasonic Unit (Matsu****a to be specific, I can give a model number if anyone cares, not Fujitsu Ten as reported elsewhere in these forums), and the PCB inside it has empty IC sockets for the AUX video and and FM transmitter components. Dang

Nice work guess which cable im going to be looking for in the A pillar very soon? I bet its a fixed line out I may have to put a master contol up front for the Pilots as we have been using the Headphone volume on the side of the DVD which can be accessed from the front seats.....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks....

Hi, I also got my Grande hook up to VAISTech Multilinq and the Eastcoast unlock for the GPS that come with the Aux input. I been inform by Vaistech Australia that the VAISTech SoundLinq SLI do not charge Ipod or Iphone, that why I went for the top of the line module which play usb, hdd, and ipod that charge while you on the road. Sound great but no. The sound quality is terrible, I spend $650 for the unit and $200 to put it in and it turn me off. I went back to burning mp3 Cd and music cd. As for the screaming kids in the back I got the AV guy to run a cable from the roof mount DVD audio out and connect to the Aux input. With the Eastcoast unlock from the US it unlock factory DVD mode, CD Changer mode and toggle on/off to use GPS/Phone while the vehicle in motion. it do not sound great but it keep the kids entertain without strapping their head with headphones.