ZRE-152 useful parts

Howdy all,

Thought I might throw this up here, as I have had a tonne of trouble finding useful info/mods on the ZRE152 everywhere else....

Just purchased, but not fitted, this throttle controller: http://pivotjp.com/product/frame-3-drive-e.html. They provide a harness (2A) suitable for the 2ZR-FE motor. Can also be purchased through http://www.nengun.com/pivot/throttle-controller. Hopefully will improve the feel of the throttle, which has been a bit laggy for my liking :)

According to the chaps at NonStopTuning the underdrive kit for the Scion xD will also fit this motor, will post some results once mine arrives. Anyone else fitted this or the lightweight OEM pulley?

Oh yah, first post and all so hi, and thanks for the info you guys constantly provide.

UPDATE: FYI - completed testing of the pedal position vs throttle position in my '08 Corolla. At around 70-75% pedal position the throttle is fully open, leaving the rest of the pedal arc seemingly useless.

Edited by erasmus

Those are completely pointless. All they do is adjust the amount that the throttle plate moves in relation to how much you press on the accelerator. Such a massive waste of money (AU $359.58 + AU $78.24 for the harness if you choose) for something you can easily adjust with decent driving skills.

Look at it this way. For a normal DBW throttle, you depress the accelerator 10% of its range, the throttle plate moves 10% of its range. Now you add this box and put it into 'Sports' mode. Now when you depress the accelerator 10%, the throttle moves 20% (for example). What happens when you depress the accelerator 50%... the throttle is at 100% and the rest of the range in your accelerator is useless.

Now it only takes a fraction of a second to press the accelerator that extra distance that this box is going to compensate for. There is absolutely no gain in respect to this.

Putting it into 'Eco' mode will do the opposite. For example, you depress the accelerator 10%, the throttle moves only 5%. Now This I can see would provide some sort of gain if you were trying to drive like a granny and want to get your revs 100% perfect, but realistically it is just useless. You can gain decent control with practice.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but those are just my opinions.

Opinions are welcome of course, that's why i'm here :)

Fair call, in terms of real-world performance it doesn't offer much compared to other mods. I'm not sure about adjusting driving style, or practice, with a DBW system, it doesn't seem there's much you can do? I decided on this after driving a similar car with this unit installed, it changed the 'feel' of the throttle in my opinion and made the experience a touch less boring.

As for the waste of money, that is certainly true!. Although I would rather spend it improving the feel of the car rather than spoilers, blinging rims etc.

BTW nice Aurion, it looks wicked.