For those with an ignition key barrel

DJKOR

Nothing of major importance here, just more of my curiosity really. You're best having a window down or your door open during this. If you don't have the Smart Entry system and have to run your car the traditional way with the key, next time you get into your car switch the key to 'ACC' then very slowly turn the key towards 'ON' but don't go all the way, so you will be eventually be sitting part way between the two clicks.

Does your radiator fan come on? If that's the case, I wonder why that happens. I don't see a need where you would need to have to forcefully cool the radiator like that, and it's not something mentioned in the manual. The fact that the radiator fan comes on then and not solely when the key is on 'ACC' or 'ON' by itself shows that there is a contact in the tumbler made for that specific purpose.

That’s interesting, just tried it on my parents Aurion and same thing, strange.

On the Gen5 Camry in that position all the dash light are off with just the oil light on, and you can run the A/C fan etc with out the engine, but no engine fans coming on like the Aurion.

On one of our older Toyotas you can have the key in between the on and acc position and only the charge light will be on, and the engine can still be on.

Just read this post. Thought i would try it out on my way to the shops. Got in the car and turned the key slow. Tried it with the door open, door closed and window open. Window closed and door closed and friend standing in front of the car. tried it with park brake on, park brake off. tried it with A/C on and off. Tried it only on a cold engine though... did not retry it when i came home after the drive to see if it made a difference. I just could not get it to happen. Then again i have a '08MY Aurion and it may have different software to yours.

What i would suggest it may be is a test cycle. I know when i was a mechanic and had to do software updates on vehicle ECU's we had to unplug the fans. This was because from the switching on and off of the key would start the fans as a test and possible spike the computer when the fans kicked in. not a good thing to happen when you are in the middle of a software update.

I have a 999 Ducati and i can confirm it does the same thing. when i turn the ignition on, the fans will start up and run for a second or so.

I would imagine it would be a test cycle the car is going through to check. As for why they come on and stay on, i would only be guessing that there is a few circuits on the ignition switch. when you turn it slow enough you have tripped the first part of the start up stage. the fans are powered up for test, but the ECU is not powered up to get a reading from them and to tell them to turn off...

Only a guess :)