Cigarette lighter fuse?

Hi,

The console cigarette lighter in my 2010 Ascent ZRE152R has blown a fuse.

The model has the main fusebox under the bonnet, and there are NO blown fuses in it.

Tha owner's manual does not show a fuse for the cig. lighter.

Does anyone know where this fuse might be? It is also not behind the glove box.

Poppy Ray.

Hi Trent, thanks for the input.

Everything else works. The problem arose when the cig. lighter socket became loose because the plastic indicator light surround cracked, allowing the socket to move up and down as a plug was put in it and pulled from it.

There is one possibility I have not checked yet, that maybe the positive wire broke at the quick connector with the movement, but there is no physical sign of that. I will insert a pin in the wire when I get a chance, and check that. The earthy connection is OK, and the indicator light functions (lighting the cracked ring around the socket). As I indicated, the handbook does not indicate a fuse for the cig. lighter, and there are no blown fuses, I checked them with an ohmmeter in case one was blown but not apparently blown.

Are you using the cigarette lighter or just as a 12v power point? Most 12v accessory plugs (USB, phone charger etc) have a fuse inside the plug that could have blown

Hi Poppy Ray,

The ZRE152 corolla has two fuse boxes, one under the bonnet, and one behind the glovebox. I know this as I have had to change my cigarette lighter fuse twice now, as I persist on using cheap crap cigarette lighter adapters for phones etc.

You will need to do some serious 'bogan yoga' to be able to reach the fusebox - lie in the passengers footwell with your head up behind the glovebox. I can't quite remember whether you have to take the glovebox out or not, but at any rate, that's a trivial task. I think maybe you don't.

Get under there with a nice LED light that you don't need to hold. Believe it or not, but there is a fuse puller there, as miniscule as it is. These are 'micro' fuses - a lot smaller than the fuses. You can get new ones from fleabay for pocketchange. Blue five amp ones if i remember correctly?

Either way, stick ya napper up the passengers footwell and have a gander. There's a plastic cover that covers the fuses, and on the inside of the cover is a legend which tells you what's what - it is somewhat confusing as it doesn't look that different upside down.

Good luck and report back if you can't find it and i'll take some happy snaps for us to all enjoy.

Hope this helps

Squire

Hello Squire,

It finally stopped raining, so got to look from the foot well.

You were right, there was the extra fuse box, and it revealed a blown fuse. I didn't see a puller there, but knew there was one under the bonnet, as well as spare fuses.

There wasn't a 15A. one, so put in a 25A. for now. Also noted someone had replaced a what should have been a 7.5A. fuse nearby with a 10A., so will have to go shopping. There are fuses in other slots that probably have no circuits fitted for accessories my car doesn't have, didn't remove any of them "just in case".

I had pulled the glovebox lid several times, but that fuse panel doesn't show there, it's on the bottom of the box with the 3 large 30A. fuses on it. It can't be seen from there, except maybe with a mirror.

There is a loose fitting bottom cover to remove to see the fuse box from the foot well.

So thank you for the clues, great job!

Poppy Ray.

• Like 1