Immobiliser Problems

Rob_Camry

Hi all,

Lent my spare car out this Long Weekend and now have a problem... The immobiliser is in pieces and it was my only one :( The other problem i have is the key that starts the engine will not fit the doors so i have to brake in.

After breaking in obviously i can't start the engine. What i have done so far is disconnect the horns (so when i break in i don't ***** the neighbors).

and have been down to Toyota who say I'm buggered, they need a working fob to make a new one (that's just crazy don't know if it's true)?? and the key can not be located on their database so i will have to rip the door card off and see if the code is on the barrel.

Question is do the original keys have an immobiliser in? the one i got with the car years ago is like a house key if you know what i mean! Also when does the immobiliser disengage, when the correct key is put in the door or when it's put in the ignition because it it's when it's put in the door then i should be OK if Toyota can do me a key!

Hope someone can help, cheers!

P.S. it's a 1995 Camry CSi Wagon!

With the gen 3 (1993-1997) camry's the remote that unlock/locks the cars doors is what disables the immobiliser. I believe that the gen4 onwards had the chip in the key.

So are you saying the remote that locks the doors is broken? Once you are in the car look inside the glovebox and in the top right hand corner there should be a slot to stick the remote (maybe try and tape the remote together if possible to fit in the slot)...if thats possible the security indicator on the dash should either stay lit or dissappear (cant remember exactly) and that should disable the immobiliser to start the car.

It is odd that you cannot unlock the car doors with the key. Even if its the valet key you should be able to unlock the doors and start the car (it just wont give you access to the boot or glovebox if they are locked). Have you tried using the key on the passengers side door (ive found that if i havent unlocked the car doors by key in a long time its quite hard to turn the key)

Thats the process in my car manual (i have a 1996 model). Also to program the new remote i believe you do need the existing remote ( you put the old remote into the glovebox slot and insert the new remote - if you get to that stage i can give you the programming instructions for a new remote)

Hopefully that is of some help

Edited by redracer

With the gen 3 (1993-1997) camry's the remote that unlock/locks the cars doors is what disables the immobiliser. I believe that the gen4 onwards had the chip in the key.

So are you saying the remote that locks the doors is broken? Once you are in the car look inside the glovebox and in the top right hand corner there should be a slot to stick the remote (maybe try and tape the remote together if possible to fit in the slot)...if thats possible the security indicator on the dash should either stay lit or dissappear (cant remember exactly) and that should disable the immobiliser to start the car.

It is odd that you cannot unlock the car doors with the key. Even if its the valet key you should be able to unlock the doors and start the car (it just wont give you access to the boot or glovebox if they are locked). Have you tried using the key on the passengers side door (ive found that if i havent unlocked the car doors by key in a long time its quite hard to turn the key)

Thats the process in my car manual (i have a 1996 model so it should be the same). Also to program the new remote i believe you do need the existing remote ( you put the old remote into the glovebox slot and insert the new remote - if you get to that stage i can give you the programming instructions for a new remote)

Hopefully that is of some help

Thanks, yeah I have been reading the manual lol. I don't know what key i have deffo does not look like an original

(solid steel, no plastic.) I bought the car with just that one key (only thing it does is start the car, no doors/boot or glovebox) and one key fob. I have read somewhere about leaving the key in for half an hour and it may reset, but it didn't work. Do you think if i get a key cut (have to get to the barrel to get the code to identify the key as Toyota say it's not listed)! It would turn off the immobiliser with this 30min trick???

Cheers

With the original keys, they were both solid metal (no plastic) but had the toyota logo on them. If it was an master key it would look similar in shape to http://s7.cdn.hardwareandtools.net/is/image/HardwareandTools/036448173938?wid=200&hei=200 whereas the valet key would look more like http://s7.cdn.hardwareandtools.net/is/image/HardwareandTools/036448181704?wid=120&hei=120 (not 100% identical but close enough).

By the sounds of things the previous owner must of had a key cut thats not perfect because if it were the proper toyota key no matter what type it would unlock the doors (unless it was really worn). All I know is the actual remote is what disables the immobiliser and I believe that that's the only way to disable it. In the end it wouldn't hurt trying another cut key, it's not too hard to get access to the ignition barrel (you have to start by prying the U shaped plastic trim underneath the radio from the bottom corners of the trim, there are then two screws in the top corners to remove, then remove the two screws above the speedo, then you should be able to slowly remove the trim around the dash (the rest of the trim is held in by clips, that should then allow you to see the ignition barrel))

1995 was the year they went from the gen 3 to the gen 3.5 camry therefore the process of disabling the immobiliser may be different to what I said before(i have the gen 3.5)

Hopefully you have some luck (btw what actually happened to the keyless remote that locked/unlocked the doors - that is if you had remote central locking)

Ok, i just dug out my manual. Supposedly you can disable the immobiliser after 30 mins. My manual states:

----------------------------------

IF YOU LOSE ALL REMOTE CONTROLS

1. Unlock and open either front door with the key (this is where you have some trouble therefore need the details on the ignition barrel)

2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to ON (did u have the key at on when you did it before)

3. Turn off all accessories

4. Wait approximately 30 minutes until the security indicator stops flashing. Do not turn the key during this time

5. Turn key directly to start and start the engine

Contact your toyota dealer to arrange replacement and programming of new remote controls

My key looks like the first on and is deffo worn, (you can remove it from the ignition with the engine running). That's a good idea about the ignition barrel i was going to go for the door one for the code as that's what Toyota said they would do, but every car i have ever removed door cards from have always rattled after i put them back on!

The key fob is smashed up big time so there's no way to repair that, so either way I'm stuffed as I don't know how to get around that. on a plus side I'm great at breaking into it now lol!

Ok, i just dug out my manual. Supposedly you can disable the immobiliser after 30 mins. My manual states:

IF YOU LOSE ALL REMOTE CONTROLS

1. Unlock and open either front door with the key (this is where you have some trouble therefore need the details on the ignition barrel)

2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to ON (did u have the key at on when you did it before)

3. Turn off all accessories

4. Wait approximately 30 minutes until the security indicator stops flashing. Do not turn the key during this time

5. Turn key directly to start and start the engine

Contact your toyota dealer to arrange replacement and programming of new remote controls

Saw that in my manual, tried it and it didn't work, maybe because I had to break in and that set the alarm off whereas if i get the key cut it may be different! Thanks again for all your help you have been great. Hopefully get a key cut tomorrow and give it another go!

My key looks like the first on and is deffo worn, (you can remove it from the ignition with the engine running). That's a good idea about the ignition barrel i was going to go for the door one for the code as that's what Toyota said they would do, but every car i have ever removed door cards from have always rattled after i put them back on!

The key fob is smashed up big time so there's no way to repair that, so either way I'm stuffed as I don't know how to get around that. on a plus side I'm great at breaking into it now lol!

yeah no wonder you couldnt open the doors, the key's definately worn lol. I have taken the door cards off before and never had any problems with rattling. I wouldn't bother trying to gain access to the door locks, its very hard and time consuming to gain access to them (trust me, i had to replace the door handle before and its not too fun) so best bet is to try the ignition barrel

Ok so I think ive found the keycode number... it's 5 digits, does that sound right??? Also does anyone know how much Toyota charge to have a key cut? or can i take the code to any locksmith??

Cheers

Ok so I think ive found the keycode number... it's 5 digits, does that sound right??? Also does anyone know how much Toyota charge to have a key cut? or can i take the code to any locksmith??

Cheers

to get the key cut, any locksmith

but to reprogram the new key you gotta take it back to toyota with that 5 digit code you got

• 1 month later...

i always tell customers to leave it on for a hour and with a jumppack, seems to work. i.e. they dont call back.

to replace your remotes you will need a new cir unit, about six weeks ago they were none in australia, you can get your reset though, and you will need 2 remotes as the reset/new cir replacement procedure requires it.

hope this helps

• 5 months later...

Ok so I think ive found the keycode number... it's 5 digits, does that sound right???

but to reprogram the new key you gotta take it back to toyota with that 5 digit code you got

to replace your remotes you will need a new cir unit, about six weeks ago they were none in australia, you can get your reset though, and you will need 2 remotes as the reset/new cir replacement procedure requires it.

hope this helps

Hey guys,

First post so I thought I'd make it a good one.

My old remote was playing up so I bought a new one to re-program, then because my old one was too dodgey to actually use the transponder I was planning on getting one done up in the new year. Of course, my old one completely died before then, so now I need to get one done up.

Two questions in relation to the above quotes, firstly, Jeffy, where are those 5 numbers? I was told that Toyota need the numbers off 'immobilizer box that is hidden behind the dash' but I don't really know what I'm looking for and can't find anything in the manual.

Secondly, ecuflasher, one guy told me the same thing, but most dealers say I can get a 'preprogrammed remote' as long as I have those numbers.

Cheers guys.

Two questions in relation to the above quotes, firstly, Jeffy, where are those 5 numbers?

its engraved onto a small plate - ill take a photo of it once i find it, - not sure if its for previous model cars but mine came with it,

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys, 

I have a similar problem. My key fob wouldn’t work last Monday, so I couldn’t start the car. 

Than I tried a few things I saw on here and it’s been fine since (press the fob and it works).

Today when I went to leave work, the fob wouldn’t work again and I have had to leave my car there. 

I have tried the fob in the slot of the glovebox, but I’m not sure how long I’m meant to leave it there (this is what I did last week and it just worked).

Is there anyway with out the fob, I can completely disable the immobiliser? Like I do not want this connected to anything and I don’t want to carry a fob anymore if I can help it? 

Otherwise any help starting the car would be amazing. 

Thank you in advance. Kelly.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 99 csi camry. My remote went completely dead, so now it's immobilized. I bought another remote on eBay, can't program it. I've had a locksmith out to try to program a remote, he tried 4 to no avail. My car doesn't have the slot in the glove box for the remote. Please help