E10, 91, 95 or 98

Antiwarclan

Dear All,

Was looking for a thread for this kind of discussion and I cant find it. Please let me know if there is a thread for this topic.

Here it goes. I was reading about the difference between E10, 91, 95, and 98. According to drive.com where they have a test of commodore (I know we can compare the commodore with camry but that's the only report i have read). Drive.com reckons E10 provides 10-20% fuel saving as compare to the others.

I am keen to know which fuel gives the savings? Please share.

Dear All,

Was looking for a thread for this kind of discussion and I cant find it. Please let me know if there is a thread for this topic.

Here it goes. I was reading about the difference between E10, 91, 95, and 98. According to drive.com where they have a test of commodore (I know we can compare the commodore with camry but that's the only report i have read). Drive.com reckons E10 provides 10-20% fuel saving as compare to the others.

I am keen to know which fuel gives the savings? Please share.

I think you'll find it is actually the other way around - E10 has a price saving of ~2% per L compared to regular unleaded, but economy is up to 10% worse, hence why ethanol-blended fuels are often called "false economy" - they cost less to fill the tank (which makes you think you're saving money) but you're actually filling the tank up more often, maybe not often enough to realise until you start adding up costs over several months.

There is little economy difference between 91, 95 and 98, you'll probably have greater fluctuations in a week-to-week basis just due to traffic than you would from the improved economy of one over the other.

There is little economy difference between 91, 95 and 98, you'll probably have greater fluctuations in a week-to-week basis just due to traffic than you would from the improved economy of one over the other.

Hiro is right - I have tested the different fuels, driving the same route daily. Minus the traffic, I found that I had to fill up more often with E10 than with 95 and 98.

Between 95/98 you won't feel the difference much at all with a Camry - economy wise still the same give or take.

On the other side as well, E10 and 91 are almost the same, 1% difference in ethanol/petrol whichever way you look at it.

--

My average has been 14L/100kms lately - I guess more cause I'm having too much fun with my new exhaust haha. Normally get around 12L/100KMs - mostly city driving.

I know with your Camry Hybrid 2013 you can play with the Eco and Normal mode as well.

On the other side as well, E10 and 91 are almost the same, 1% difference in ethanol/petrol whichever way you look at it..

10% :p

Also, since the OP is in Victoria it is a slightly different matter - NSW E10 is usually 91 RON (even with the ethanol added, due to a government mandate), in other states I don't believe there is the same restriction and you'll often get 94/95RON E10 (which is closer to Premium)

• Thanks 1

We get 95 RON E10 in Tassie and find NO difference in economy between that and 91 unleaded in either our current 2012 Camry Hybrid H or our previous 2010 Hybrid ..

We use 91 unleaded about 85 to 90% of the time though, mainly because I use Woollies shop-a-dockets.

No noticeable difference in performance either.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a test of E10, 91 and 95 using Caltex stations on my 2010 Camry Hybrid Luxury over 6 months. The consumption is measured using full fills rather than the car computer. This was recorded over 2 months period for each type of fuel, I fill on average every fortnight and driving about 1000 km during that time.

I've found that in $ per km terms at 2011 prices, 91 was the clear winner, followed by E10 and then 95. Difference between E10 and 95 was only a few cents, with E10 being cheaper to run. I've since lost the data logged in the app so I can't give you exact numbers. But 91 was by far the better fuel to get, back in the day 91 was 3 cents per litre more expensive than E10, and 95 was around 10-15 cents more expensive than 91. There's a clear economy difference between E10 and regular fuels in my experience.

However, since that time, my local Woolies Caltex have phased out 91 and gone to E10 only...91 RON is really hard to find at a decent price in my area now.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I've gone to premium 95 RON now, considering the cost per km difference with E10 is minimal. Also, if you believe the marketing, it has "special sauce" that make your car run better. So why not! ;-)

Edited by cyc3233
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Prius Hybrid, and in the manual it recommends 95 octane, however it can take e10. As Premium 95 octane is about 10c/l more expensive than 91 regular unleaded, I would ideally like to find an e10 that's 95 octane, but can't (I'm in Qld). Woollies E10 is 91, and Coles e10 might be 93 but can't confirm this. Anyone help with this? I read that when you add ethanol to petrl it raises the octane level, so that means Woolies must have been below 91 octane before they added the ethanol.

PS. What is the recommended fuel for the Camry hybrid, and if it's different, why?

• Thanks 1

Hi Bill,

E10 in Tassie is mainly offered by Liberty and united Garages and last time I checked a few weeks ago it was 95 octane. Not sure if either of these brands are offered in Qld.

The Hybrid Camry has a completely different (larger capacity) motor than the Prius and as far as I know there is no need to use anything other than 91 Octane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I've been testing out different fuels as I do a lot of driving to work and back (218km round trip each day). I've found the E10 fuel (95 RON where I get it) to be the most economical in terms of fuel used, and also the cheapest in terms of $/L. Second to that would be 91 RON. I've had the E10 (95 RON) down to 7.9L/100km (actual figures, car said 7.5 but it was lying) while the best I could get any other fuel was 8.3l/100km which was with a tank of 91 RON. I find the E10 also feels like it has more power and it tends to get highway speed overtaking maneuvers done much quicker. This is all done in me Aurion though, so a little off topic to the hybrids

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences that's helped alot. I've been looking for this information for 3 hours on the net. Found this thread and just signed up. 

Edited by Dman25
Update