ECU for auto Camry same as for manual 5SFE engine? (solved)

Jim.

My 1993 camry 5SFE engine is stuck in town with a fuel supply problem. It started and ran fine, but shortly stopped and would not start again.  I ran the OBD1 diagnostics and there are no indicated faults.  We have tested the fuel pump by powering it up with jumper wires and it runs ok. However, the pump is not running when the ignition is turned on and the starter engaged briefly. We also tested the supply voltage on the pair of wires that power the pump which was ok, but it still will not run when the motor is cranked.

I have yet to bridge terminals  +B and FP in the diagnostics port to see if the pump will run with the ignition on. That is the first test I will do in the morning when I hitch hike into town again. I have not ruled out the possibility that rats have damaged some of the wiring. They eat the poison that I secrete in the engine bay from time to time, very quickly.

One manual I am reading suggests that if the pump will still not run, replace the ECU. I do have a spar ECU out of an automatic Camry of the same vintage and same engine.

Question:  This vehicle has manual transmission. Is it likely that the ECU from an auto trans car will be compatible with this manual one?

Edit: I have just watched a video that indicates that the circuit opening relay fault can cause these kind of problems. Arc damaged contact points. The video suggested repairing and modifying it by soldering an electrolytic capacitor across the contact points to (presumably) prevent or minimise further arcing.

Edited by Jim.

I soon found that the ECU was not the same.

We still have not found the fault with my car. I'll open a new thread, as this one has not attracted any replies.

Yes, that is what I discovered as soon as I looked at both of them. I was at home far from the car when I asked the question.

Is there a way for me to edit the thread title as solved, or do you do as moderator?