Turbo or Engine Conversion

YAR15

The question is turbo or engine conversion....

ZPI Racing are releasing a turbo kit for the 1.5L Yaris. A choosen Yaris owner has been driving the turbo Yaris for a while and has had no problems with both the company or the kit. On the dyno the car reached 180hp, roughly 134Kw at 8psi. The reason for such a low boost is that the internals are not designed for turbo. The con-rods on the Yaris are like pencils. The 8psi is a guarenteed safe boost level for the stock engine.

The Yaris has been pushed to 12psi but engineers say that the car would not last a week. Inorder to run such a high boost the enigne would have to be beef'd up. With the car setup on 8psi they were able to snap the axel with slicks on a quarter mile.

In countries like France the 1.8L Yaris have been release but will not be coming to Oz.

Would it be easier and safer to get an engine conversion of a halfcut Corrola or stick with what I have?

• The Yaris engine can only be safely driven with 8psi boost
  • Risk of blowing the Yaris engine
  • Engine conversion can become costly
  • More turbo kits available for Corolla engines

I dont want rediculos amounts of power as it is a light car... all in all I want to go the safest route possible.

ZPI claim that the kit is around (american) $3k

A half cut + man hours = havent got a clue

Yaris on the dyno!!!

ZPI Turbo Yaris

Edited by YAR15

I'm not sure about the local authorities in WA. But I think in NSW or maybe Australia for that matter, the engine must be younger then the car...i.e. the engine is newer.

A well thought out turbo installation would be better, as both would prolly cost the same......and putting the 1.8L corolla engine is not going to be that crash hot, unless you can find a 2zzge that is younger then your car....and then the headaches of gearbox etc....

Do some measurements if your planning going custom......or the kit that you mentioned, but I would be worried about the kit since its coming from the states (I'm assuming).........because they are left hand driven.

If you do your shopping right then it shouldn't cost you too much.........unless of course you want all your parts to be brand new

I believe a TRD Yaris will be coming out....after the Aurion and Hilux...what it has under the bonnet remains a mystery at this stage