DIY Cold Air for $4.00

I got bored and awaiting my K'N Air filter new from USA ( cheaper than here love the 83c aussie dollar)

I decided to mod the intake from Toyota who cleverly placed it next to the radiator

I thought why not run the intake upside down and have the air coming in through passenger side fog light hole

Guess what . the factory piping is the perfect length to fit ...

After removing snorkle and air box and fuse box

pulled apartair duct from snorkle at joint gently enough to break glue

then i fed the air duct down to behind the fog light hole

then put gaffer tape across hole on snorkle where it went to white box .. also tape across top of white box ..

will remove this box when i have more time

joined everything back together after some fiddling with the position behind fog light

had to cut out slit in fog light cover there was one already in bottom added another to top could of been bigger

then placed fog light cover back in .. tight fit .. just in case i put a small self tapper screw to stop it coming out

reset ecu ..started car .. could feel it sucking cold air straight away .. what a nice sound and then i went for a drive ....

Now my car is auto no other mods yet .. but it revs a little harder and sounds like it can breath now

$4.00 was just for Gaffer Tape ..45mins to do

post-3712-1177483467_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1177483500_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1177483518_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1177483539_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1177483563_thumb.jpg

Invest is a 3" CAI tube from Autobarn or Supercheap Auto, remove the res (white box) for space for the tube and you will notice a better change.

yeah . happy with this for the time and money ... another day if i could be bothered replacing factory setup .. but hell toyota gave me these things i just using them correctly now :)

Invest is a 3" CAI tube from Autobarn or Supercheap Auto, remove the res (white box) for space for the tube and you will notice a better change.

yep i did this also, does the job well. the snorkle gets very small at one point, i didnt reset the ecu tho?

yep i did this also, does the job well. the snorkle gets very small at one point, i didnt reset the ecu tho?

small at one point?? did you tuck your inside the airbox? Im hoping that the airbox has the 'small point', as long as its not the other way around thats a good thing.

small at one point?? did you tuck your inside the airbox? Im hoping that the airbox has the 'small point', as long as its not the other way around thats a good thing.

i just read what i wrote lol looks a bit confusing anyways i meant the stock snorkle gets very small at one point its about the size of a 20c coin.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried the 1st setup with snorkel down to the foggie and then i didnt feel much diff so i took the whole snorkel out and now i just love how the engine ROARS :P might get a new panel filter to finish the job :) all depends..

i tried the 1st setup with snorkel down to the foggie and then i didnt feel much diff so i took the whole snorkel out and now i just love how the engine ROARS :P might get a new panel filter to finish the job :) all depends..

Yes, from when you start Engine, you can hear the air box is sucking air...and engine can rev more easily...but well, it sucking hot air from the engine bay... :blink:

Yes, from when you start Engine, you can hear the air box is sucking air...and engine can rev more easily...but well, it sucking hot air from the engine bay... :blink:

thats why pod filters in engine bay are no good .. HOT AIR INTAKE .... down to outside near light ALL COLD

i took it out for a drive (quite a long one) checked the filter.. it was still cool :P and the temp guage was suprisingly lower then when i had the snorkle down @ foggie..

but yeh until i get sick of the noise :P or feels bad :P i will get some pipe and run them down the foggie