I thought it might be useful to some looking to get a car through Leaseplan (and this experience may extend to other companies as well).

It doesnt necessarily follow that a lease company's preferred supplier will get you the best deal. I have just had an Aurion ZR6 order placed with my own dealership and I think I got the better deal.

The issue is that preferred suppliers have enterred into an agreement with the lease company for the price of everything. When I started to negotiate with dealership A (the preferred supplier) I was told that they couldn't throw in extras like mats and headlight protectors because the price was set in the agreement and if they tried to undercut other suppliers it would break the terms of that agreement. Essentially all preferred suppliers will stand shoulder to shoulder with dealership A and the quotes are dollar for dollar the same. Fleet discount is also set as part of this agreement, and they wont (cant?) budge.

Dealership B however - the non preferred supplier - competes for your business on the "open" market and is happy to include some extras to place themselves ahead of the rest. They also offered (didnt have to ask for it) $1300 better fleet discount. The whole feel of the negotiation (if you could call it that with dealership A) was different. With dealership A I got the impression that they just turned the handle and expected me to roll over - dealer B made some effort.

Anyway hope this helps. Leaseplan have no problem at all with you going to non preferred suppliers and it seems the difference can be felt in the wallet.

I thought it might be useful to some looking to get a car through Leaseplan (and this experience may extend to other companies as well).

It doesnt necessarily follow that a lease company's preferred supplier will get you the best deal. I have just had an Aurion ZR6 order placed with my own dealership and I think I got the better deal.

The issue is that preferred suppliers have enterred into an agreement with the lease company for the price of everything. When I started to negotiate with dealership A (the preferred supplier) I was told that they couldn't throw in extras like mats and headlight protectors because the price was set in the agreement and if they tried to undercut other suppliers it would break the terms of that agreement. Essentially all preferred suppliers will stand shoulder to shoulder with dealership A and the quotes are dollar for dollar the same. Fleet discount is also set as part of this agreement, and they wont (cant?) budge.

Dealership B however - the non preferred supplier - competes for your business on the "open" market and is happy to include some extras to place themselves ahead of the rest. They also offered (didnt have to ask for it) $1300 better fleet discount. The whole feel of the negotiation (if you could call it that with dealership A) was different. With dealership A I got the impression that they just turned the handle and expected me to roll over - dealer B made some effort.

Anyway hope this helps. Leaseplan have no problem at all with you going to non preferred suppliers and it seems the difference can be felt in the wallet.

If you don't mind me asking what did you end up paying for the ZR6 and what extra's did you get?

If you don't mind me asking what did you end up paying for the ZR6 and what extra's did you get?

Almost bang on $40K for ZR6 with roof, darkest legal tint, heavy duty towbar, mats, bonnet and headlight protectors.

Dont know how that stacks up against others but I am happy with the deal :D

Almost bang on $40K for ZR6 with roof, darkest legal tint, heavy duty towbar, mats, bonnet and headlight protectors.

Dont know how that stacks up against others but I am happy with the deal :D

Well as far as I'm concerned that's a great price. Well done. Might look at that option next time. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

Never thought i would come across a topic like this on a forum. But i guess i should comment, but not say too much.

Leasing companies have certain dealers which they have ties with, so when it comes to get a quote for a leasing client, they will get a quote from their preferred dealer and generally leave it at that. So it is usually more cost saving to do your own shopping around, and sign a deal "subject to leasing via leaseplan" as i have had to do many times.

Hope this helps other lease clients in the future