Bought a 4 Cyl Camry!

crinkles

Hello, This may well be my first post.

I bought a 2005 camry altise 4cyl auto two weeks ago. Must say I am very happy with the car. Drives like a charm. I upgraded from a Hyundai Getz so you can imagine!

I have a few questions though. When I start it up and put it into gear (R or D), mostly when the engine and transmission is cold, it tends to vibrate a fair bit like its the torque converter or transmission playing up. I know this because in Neutral or Park it doesn't vibrate. Is it normal? it doen't happen when everything is warmed up.

Also, what is the best oil for my 2AZ-FE? I understand its 10W-30, but what does Toyota use? Is it fully synthetic or is it OK to use mineral 10W-30. Looking at the oil on the dipstick its a fully synthetic. I would probably go with Castrol Edge 5W-30 fully synthetic. Its pricey though and shell has an eco 10W-30 mineral for a fair bit cheaper.

Also, should we use thicker oils than that in Australia, given the heat? I am planning to maybe drive from Perth to Brisbane in July.

Edit: it has 33,000km on it.

Edited by crinkles

I have a few questions though. When I start it up and put it into gear (R or D), mostly when the engine and transmission is cold, it tends to vibrate a fair bit like its the torque converter or transmission playing up. I know this because in Neutral or Park it doesn't vibrate. Is it normal? it doen't happen when everything is warmed up.

when all the mounting are still cold they're hard, but as the engine bay gets warmer it get softer and that's why you don't feel much when the car is running warm. especially when your Camry has only done 33,000km. Engine n Gearbox mount should be replace after 150,000km or even 200,000km. Even my camry, nearly 10yrs old and the engine n gearbox mounting are still super good.

when all the mounting are still cold they're hard, but as the engine bay gets warmer it get softer and that's why you don't feel much when the car is running warm. especially when your Camry has only done 33,000km. Engine n Gearbox mount should be replace after 150,000km or even 200,000km. Even my camry, nearly 10yrs old and the engine n gearbox mounting are still super good.

OK, which makes sense, only in R or D would there be some sort of connection to load the engine and if you're right, the cold mountings mean extra vibrations when i start out. So what are these mountings/dampeners made out of? some kind of rubber?

I was thinking I bought a lemon there for a second but it drives beaut once warm. Checked the ATF this morning and its fine.

I did a little experiment tonight. I was pulling the car into the garage while still cold. put it in N and handbrake on, opened the bonnet so I could see the engine while shifting into D or R.

Sure enough, when i stuck it into D, the WHOLE engine and Transmission Assy moved! the top moved about 3 or 5 cm to the back.! and, popped it into R, same thing happened, only the other way round! Like the torque was forcing the assembly to rotate a fair bit.

Is this normal? Are these movements engineered into the engine and transmission mounts to extend their life or whatever? i have NEVER seen anything like that... it got me by surprise.

should i be worried? \

At least i know that this whole assembly moving might be causing the vibration when i start it up cold and put it into drive or reverse.

I am new to autos... at a stop light, do I put it in Neutral or keep it in drive? It feels right to put it in neutral...

I did a little experiment tonight. I was pulling the car into the garage while still cold. put it in N and handbrake on, opened the bonnet so I could see the engine while shifting into D or R.

Sure enough, when i stuck it into D, the WHOLE engine and Transmission Assy moved! the top moved about 3 or 5 cm to the back.! and, popped it into R, same thing happened, only the other way round! Like the torque was forcing the assembly to rotate a fair bit.

Is this normal? Are these movements engineered into the engine and transmission mounts to extend their life or whatever? i have NEVER seen anything like that... it got me by surprise.

should i be worried? \

At least i know that this whole assembly moving might be causing the vibration when i start it up cold and put it into drive or reverse.

I am new to autos... at a stop light, do I put it in Neutral or keep it in drive? It feels right to put it in neutral...

the movement is normal.

at the light, put it in "N" saves abit of fuel and doesn't wear out the gear mounting, according to the NRMA magazine (last year) putting it into Neutral at the light will save 3% of your fuel.

Edited by leasaunce

• 5 months later...
at the light, put it in "N" saves abit of fuel and doesn't wear out the gear mounting, according to the NRMA magazine (last year) putting it into Neutral at the light will save 3% of your fuel.

yes it does save fuel only when u do it when as soon as the light turns red, or orange. if u do it every so often the shift between n and d for short instances will not save fuel, it will do the reverse, as placing it in2 N will place a predetermined amount of fuel to stop the engine from stalling. so of course if u stop @ the lights and see that it will go green in 10secs time, then placing in2 N and then D will not save any fuel.

i must point out that the main reason to placing your car in N is to save enginebay wear. When in D (air-cond off), it means the auto transmission is engaged and the car will slowly move forward. If you step on the brake to stop it from moving forward (accelerator is not depressed) the car is wanting to move forward, thus vibration occurs.

Think of the situation as follows:

1. While waiting at traffic lights and the auto is in D, you need to step on the brake to prevent the car moving forward (brake lights on). The car wants to move forward and you stop it from doing so, vibration occurs which in time to come, something will get loose too. Lower enigne rpm means (says below 600 rpm) engine vibration. Most of us will step on the brake while in

D in standstill, NOT GOOD.

2. While waiting at traffic light and the auto is in N , you probably still need to step on the brake to prevent the car from sliding forward or backward. You dont get vibration at all because the auto is not engaged and there is no drop in rpm. No vibratin means your enigne and transmission last longer.

wonder why old cars vibrate like hell when @ the lights in D? theres your answer. usually u get the low vibrating sound coming out of everywhere. if want 2 preserve your car u should place it in2 N on long standstills. if u were driving a manual, u would place it in2 N rather that leaving it in 1st gear. same thing with autos.

how to test for engine bay wear? just accelerate hard, and if your dash,steering or both elements vibrate then u should replace your mounts or get a mech to inspect what is wrong. EDIT: or balance your tyres

Edited by Wixy