Sportivo 3rd-->2nd CRUNCH

Hey everyone, just took my mates new sporitvo for a bit a wrap last night, and i found that going 3rd down to second (heel-toe downgear) i get the most awful crunch when i try to slip it in gear. This is with clutch on the floor, revmatch go for 2nd and crunch back to neutral, then into 2nd no problem (on the 2nd go)

does this have to do with that clutch adjustment issue? Merthinks its time for an exedy sport organic

Hey everyone, just took my mates new sporitvo for a bit a wrap last night, and i found that going 3rd down to second (heel-toe downgear) i get the most awful crunch when i try to slip it in gear. This is with clutch on the floor, revmatch go for 2nd and crunch back to neutral, then into 2nd no problem (on the 2nd go)

does this have to do with that clutch adjustment issue? Merthinks its time for an exedy sport organic

2nd gear syncro - GONE

It may have been damaged over time from from the crappy gearshifting we get from factory, to late for the clutch ajustment but it may have prevented the problem if it was done earlier.

I just had the same problem, had my box rebuilt by toyota is it still under warranty?.

Me thinks you should get it adjusted and don't spend your money on things that you don't need (also learn how to use the clutch :D :P ) No issues with my stivo.

I had people tell me stuff like this, you should have seen the brass syncro's that came out of my box, fuked!

he just bought it, and its got 30k. k's on it!

BLKVVTIL - how did you get them to rebuild?

This only happens at high revs, not during normal downshifting

also: omn1potent, you ever used a non stock clutch?

mate i may be wrong, 30k is pretty fresh i'd be having the pedal ajustment done asap. My 3rd to 2nd gear down change even @ moderate revs 3 - 5k rpm for example would crunch. This was after a few months complaining about the 1st to 2nd gear change, it was ***** poor. They tried the old clutch pedal ajustment which I must say improves the gearchange noticably but it was to late, the damage had been done to the syncros. With the new rebuild an exedy hd clutch and fidanza flywheel the gear change feels pretty good.

What model is it?? Pre or post facelift?? Personally it sounds like the synchro is gonsky and a heavier clutch ain't gonna fix it. Clutch adjustment was done only on pre facelift's but if you have a facelift model you could try and push the point with your dealer but you prolly won't get too far. Luckily for me I had a very unusual problem with mine in that 2nd and 5th gears were very hard to select and both synchro's started to deterioriate very quickly for some unknown reason even with oil changes more frequent than Toyota suggests. I had the clutch adjustment done previous and it solved the shifting prob but left me with a bad clutch shudder just above idle.

The dealer who did the adjustment didn't want to know so I went to another who couldn't help enough!! They replaced both 2nd gear and fifth gear synchro's and gear sets and selectors and machined my flywheel and put a new clutch kit in as well. When pulling the 6 speed apart 6th gear usually breaks when trying to remove it from the mainshaft and mine did so I got a new one of them too.

All this done on a car with 84 000k's on it. It's all about how you present your case and be willing to accept their decision.

But I guess I am also very persuasive and it also helps when you know more about the car than they do....

What model is it?? Pre or post facelift?? Personally it sounds like the synchro is gonsky and a heavier clutch ain't gonna fix it. Clutch adjustment was done only on pre facelift's but if you have a facelift model you could try and push the point with your dealer but you prolly won't get too far. Luckily for me I had a very unusual problem with mine in that 2nd and 5th gears were very hard to select and both synchro's started to deterioriate very quickly for some unknown reason even with oil changes more frequent than Toyota suggests. I had the clutch adjustment done previous and it solved the shifting prob but left me with a bad clutch shudder just above idle.

The dealer who did the adjustment didn't want to know so I went to another who couldn't help enough!! They replaced both 2nd gear and fifth gear synchro's and gear sets and selectors and machined my flywheel and put a new clutch kit in as well. When pulling the 6 speed apart 6th gear usually breaks when trying to remove it from the mainshaft and mine did so I got a new one of them too.

All this done on a car with 84 000k's on it. It's all about how you present your case and be willing to accept their decision.

But I guess I am also very persuasive and it also helps when you know more about the car than they do....

That's true bout 6th gear they broke mine to they had my car for almost a month, about $1400 in parts alone.

thanks for your valuable input silvabullit!

Ill direct him to a dealership and see how it goes :) His came with a TRD shortshifter which i hope won't make too much of a difference to a warranty claim

your synchro is ******! U will need to buy new synchros and possibly a second gear... Ive had too much experience with that stuff :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...