Fuel Gauge Reading

DKzr6

Hi,

I've got a question about the fuel gauge and Distance to Empty reading.

The tank in the the Aurion is 70litres.

My average fuel comsumption is 9.8litres/100km

I should in theory (using 65litres leaving 5 in the tank) get around 660km per tank.

My Distance to empty gauge shows 0km after only travelling 520km. Any my warning light comes on around 500km. At 500 km theoretically i can do another 200km before the tank runs dry.

i've run the car to 600km and it only took 58litres, leaving 12 (another 100km at least).

To me, the guage is way out of calibration. Does anyone else have this problem, or is your reading accurate and correct.

Daniel.

it's the same with my aurion.

I kept driving for about 20km after reaching fuel gauge needle is on empty and distance to empty reached 0km.

When the tank is full, it reads distance to empty about 560km.

I didn't tempt faith trying to see how much further I could go before the car actually stops.

it is either a problem or an undocumented feature!

it's the same with my aurion.

I kept driving for about 20km after reaching fuel gauge needle is on empty and distance to empty reached 0km.

When the tank is full, it reads distance to empty about 560km.

I didn't tempt faith trying to see how much further I could go before the car actually stops.

it is either a problem or an undocumented feature!

Better to be on the safe side though, you must agree. I personally only ever go by the type of driving that I've been doing and how many k's I've done, never projections or the fuel gauge. This has stemmed from the fuel light in the 102 intermittently (ie due to corners and hills) coming on when there's still 15L or so left in the tank (35 out of 50), and I've been able to push at least 100km on the solid light before, plus I do most of my driving in the city so if it starts to surge during a corner I know I can go down the road to a servo

Then again, I can never trust the fuel gauge in the 55 because it doesn't actually work. Well, it'll say about 3/4 full when the tank is full, but die to below empty after about 50-100km. The temp gauge seems to work in sympathy too, although at least it doesn't go up as high so it doesn't scare me

I was getting a reading of 46km cruising range. When i filled up the car could only fit in 55 litres, and I filled it right up because the price was going to rise the next day. That means I had roughly 15 litres left in the tank which would equate to at least 120kms.

The DTE seems pretty vague really. I am on the E but not below with 0km on the DTE dispaly and the low fuel light on and the fill was 59.57litres! so i would have had 10 litres left good for 100k on the freeway 50 odd around town. I am not sure I wanted to test it out but 10 litres left on Empty

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I've got a question about the fuel gauge and Distance to Empty reading.

The tank in the the Aurion is 70litres.

My average fuel comsumption is 9.8litres/100km

I should in theory (using 65litres leaving 5 in the tank) get around 660km per tank.

My Distance to empty gauge shows 0km after only travelling 520km. Any my warning light comes on around 500km. At 500 km theoretically i can do another 200km before the tank runs dry.

i've run the car to 600km and it only took 58litres, leaving 12 (another 100km at least).

To me, the guage is way out of calibration. Does anyone else have this problem, or is your reading accurate and correct.

Daniel.

My figures are the same as DKZr6. I can understand that Toyota wants to make sure you don't run out of fuel, but being able to still fit 15 litres in your tank when the gauge is displaying below 'E' and a crusing range of '0' for same time is an overkill I would think. Even to the point where it now brings the discussion to the table of 'how far can I continue going until I'm at an unsafe stage after my crusing range and gone below '0'.

I would think that once you have 10 liters left in the take the light should come on and the crusing range should be about 50km.

I think toyota have just gone over board on this one.

I agree we are being "nannied' to death by Toyota and all those STUPID American Law suit driven things.

Elsewhere in the the manuals which says something like this: do not keep the tank below 1/4 its capacity, that means below 17.5l. There must be a good reason behind this (I don't know) but the light comes up as designed.

BH

I agree we are being "nannied' to death by Toyota and all those STUPID American Law suit driven things.

Elsewhere in the the manuals which says something like this: do not keep the tank below 1/4 its capacity, that means below 17.5l. There must be a good reason behind this (I don't know) but the light comes up as designed.

BH

Supposedly the catalytic converter doesn't like the car running out of petrol, so it could be that

erm... i tried recently, making sure smb can pick me up IF xxx...., the light was on(for a while) and the line is very near to the last line, start in hopple crossing, drive the whole day back to chadstone, then quickly fillup at petrol station on warrigal rd/M1 entrance. SAFE~ next time, will try further^^"

If i stopped at roadside, anyone possible to pick me up? HAHA~ :toast:

btw, dont be angry bout this "overkill", but its for your own safety too?? hehe~

Edited by dannywss

Well been driving to work for two days on 0km DTE!

Filled up with needle right through the middle of the "E" and only put in 62L?

Fuel indicator is right. might as well tap the side of the petrol tank to see how full it is.