how do you know when your clutch is goneskies...

How do you know when your clutch is gone??

I’m on 65k ... and am getting the feeling my clutch is 'stuffed'... I’m not sure if its my mind set (i.e. I’ve convinced myself i need a new clutch) or if its actually gone...

I’m finding now i need to release the clutch a lot slower than i used to ... ??

I’m also finding that when i change gears... particular 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd ... they don’t slot in as smooth as they used to (it was never that smooth to begin with as stivo gearbox is a lot stiffer than others) ...

Any input would be appreciated

I know mine is on the way out because the friction point is almost at the end of the when the pedal comes up off the floor. I guess the fact that the clutch slips almost every take off also tells me that its gone

I know mine is on the way out because the friction point is almost at the end of the when the pedal comes up off the floor. I guess the fact that the clutch slips almost every take off also tells me that its gone

my friction point seems to be about the same as its ever been (very near the top)

Ive noticed its harder to rev just enough (say 2 grand or so) and take off smoothly ... like im revving more when taking off.... (maybe my driving getting worse?)

Edited by steinny72

Ive done 94k, it depends on how hard you treat the clutch. Ive know of clutches that have gone after 40k but the person was launching hard and smoking the wheels up every chance they had....

Ive done 94k, it depends on how hard you treat the clutch. Ive know of clutches that have gone after 40k but the person was launching hard and smoking the wheels up every chance they had....

ive been pretty good to it ... lauched it like a handful of times over its entire life... (bought the car at like 30k) off a middle aged 45 year old guy who seems like the responsible type ...(will never know realy but still)

Easy test is to pull the handbrake up as tight as you can get it, lift the revs to 1500 rpm, put it in first and let the clutch out real slow. If the engine stalls u're ok, If the clutch is on its way out the engine will drop revs but not die.

You may have a warped plate though which can grip most of the time but slip when fairly hot.

best to change the clutch in both situations.

Easy test is to pull the handbrake up as tight as you can get it, lift the revs to 1500 rpm, put it in first and let the clutch out real slow. If the engine stalls u're ok, If the clutch is on its way out the engine will drop revs but not die.

You may have a warped plate though which can grip most of the time but slip when fairly hot.

best to change the clutch in both situations.

ill give it a go....

My clutch was going. When doing about 4000rpm without even touching the clutch if you gave the accellerator a little bit of a poke the clutch would slip. I think it had only done about 65000km, but that is mainly city driving and I bought the car and went from auto to this, so I had a few smelly clutch times, and my girlfriend has a yaris with an incredibly light feeling clutch and she has burnt my clutch a few times aswell.

I changed up to a Exedy sports clutch and changed the flywheel to a lighter one while it was all apart anyway and I wouldn't Look back. It feels very so smooth now.

My clutch was going. When doing about 4000rpm without even touching the clutch if you gave the accellerator a little bit of a poke the clutch would slip. I think it had only done about 65000km, but that is mainly city driving and I bought the car and went from auto to this, so I had a few smelly clutch times, and my girlfriend has a yaris with an incredibly light feeling clutch and she has burnt my clutch a few times aswell.

I changed up to a Exedy sports clutch and changed the flywheel to a lighter one while it was all apart anyway and I wouldn't Look back. It feels very so smooth now.

im in exactly the same situation as u ... i learnt manual on this car etc

btw i tried the advice given earlier by Rosegum... my car didnt stall :(

The best way to test is the way that Rosegum mentioned.

The life of the clutch depends on how much abuse you give it. You'll find that hard launches will put alot of strain on parts that can lead to failure but the number one cause of premature clutch wear is down-shifting without rev matching. You end up letting the clutch do the task of "revving" the engine up the the appropriate RPM and that puts alot of wear on it.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! just a quick one!

At what stage did you guys get the clutch adjustment done?

Cos just recently iv found my clutch to be very soft! Where as before i used to rev up and release it would give a little jump (where the clutch was gripping).

Now i rev up clutch & change and its very smooth! as if its just biting. which to me indicates the clutch is not catching properly. Today i reved up and changed and it grated the gears but ever so gently wasnt a horrible heavy grate. was as if the cogs just touched. And its just recently happend.

Think my clutch is getting really hot in traffic. But as far as i know my clutch hasnt been adjusted.

So just asking what it felt like to you guys before you adjusted the clutch? Similar to my symptoms or was it really grating gears?

ooh iv bin smokin the clutch a lot lately >.< its wot happens wen ur a revhed p plater but yeh, i think my clutch is dyin too >.< now im like okies only sensible driving for at least 5000km lol >.<

ooh iv bin smokin the clutch a lot lately >.< its wot happens wen ur a revhed p plater but yeh, i think my clutch is dyin too >.< now im like okies only sensible driving for at least 5000km lol >.<

Apparently you have been smoking reefer as well, judging by how articulate your writing is...

Pete, you are just experiencing standard clutch wear on a factory clutch. Organic clutches perform best within a certain heat range, when they get hot, they go soft and slip much easier. You will really notice it for example if you have been driving along a highway for a period of time at decent speed in high gears (this puts the most strain on the clutch) and then come into city traffic, the clutch will feel weak.

The simple solution is to get a clutch with a higher clamp load and/or of different material (ceramic, brass, copper, etc) they all have different properties in regards to operating temps, ease of 'slippage', durability.

Thanks for the reply bro! ^^

im gonna take it into toyota soon and get them to quickly adjust the clutch for me. if it still feels too soft. il put an exceedy in.

question is where do i find one?