Control Arm Bushes

alarum

Hey

I've got a terrible clunking sound coming from the front-end, especially when I go over bumps in the road, or just uneven surfaces.

I've been led to the conclusion that it's the control arm bushes, and that it's going to be about $200 to fix it.

I've booked my car in to the mechanics for Friday and hopefully it all gets fixed up.

Does this sound like a right diagnosis of my problem? Otherwise I've read that it could be the suspension mounts.

Since buying my car the noise has been in the front left, but only feint, and only some of the time. But now, there's the noise every time.

Thanks all!

Hi dude

A busted control arm bushing can cause a light clunking sound. other things to look out for are broken sway bar links. what lead you to believe it's the control arm bushing?

btw, What car do you drive?

Hi

I've spoken to a few people and there seems to be a common response of the control arm bushes, as it's mostly when I'm going over bumps.

And bloody hell, for the irony of it, the trip back this afternoon they were as quiet as a mouse. I only heard them a little bit while coming off Richmond Rd turning into Woodcroft.

I drive a 1998 Vienta Grande, I suspect the suspension / bushes are still stock, I had to get my rear sway bar bushes replaced last year...

ok. in that case it probably is our bushes. Have you enquired about getting polyurethane bushes as they are stiffer and give the control are more precise movement. The only draw back is that they tend to squeek as they get older (nothing some greese can't fix)

I used to own a celica and noticed a considerable different to steering response after i put them in.

Hi

Thank you for the verification. I'll definitely ask my mechanic about the polyurethane bushes, but is there any life difference between those and normal bushes?

I realise this isn't a part that will get replaced too often, but I would just like to find out.

hey dude, i got that sound too. more of knocking sound instead of clunking. i also hear mine when i go over humps and rough surfaces and when i brake slowly. quite annoying really. anyways, my mechaninc said it could be the suspesion mount. idk..

btw, mine is at the front right side.

Hi

Yeah, when I purchased the car there was a light sound coming from the left-front, but since my smash, the right has started doing it too.

Oh well, dropping the car off this afternoon at the mechanics, hope it's all good for tomorrow!

Cheers

- Brad

Hi

Yeah, when I purchased the car there was a light sound coming from the left-front, but since my smash, the right has started doing it too.

Oh well, dropping the car off this afternoon at the mechanics, hope it's all good for tomorrow!

Cheers

- Brad

I had a simular sound but it was a broken exahst mount, thought it was the suspension but wasn't.

Well got a mechy to look at it and he said the bushes are new, both on the right and left. So, I suppose, the next thing to look at are the suspension mounts, when I start working towards my front-end suspension upgrade :D

Any suggestions for a nice setup for my Vienta? :D

my bro in law found out what's causing the noise. its actually the springs. the springs are so close together that they actually touch causing them to grind to one another. i had a look at the springgs and the actual paint was worn and i could see the metal bit. what i did was wrapped the worn part of the spring with a rubber tubing, took it for a test drive and voila, the noise is gone. this is a temporary fix until i get me self some pedders.

So would that indicate the spring is just worn and should be replaced? In my accident the smash repairers replaced the left strut, but didn't replace the spring... (A new spring would look all shiny and new, it doesn't look all shiny and new)

From inspection I can't see any part of the spring that has been terribly worn, but I'll take a better look at them soon...

Thanks pujo!